Stabilized Whipped Cream

Decorating By floral1210 Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm by hellie0h

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 13

I had a problem this weekend making the stabilized whipped cream for the first time. Everything seemed to be going well until I added the piping gel. The mixture then lost its "oomph", began to currdle, and became a grainy looking mess which seemed to disintigrate by the moment. I wanted it for a strawberry cake I made, and ended up having to make buttercream at the last minute. Has anyone had that problem before? I used piping gel that I made myself. Could that have had anything to do with it? I'd like to get some feedback before I try it again. Thanks for your responses!!

12 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 13

that is strange icon_confused.gif actually piping gel can be used to stabilize whipping cream(heavy cream)...because it has gelatin as an ingredient...anyone know why?

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 13

I use unflavored gelatin dissolved in about a Tablespoon of hot water.....when the cream is at soft peaks (with the mixer running), I slowly add the gelatin mixture and whip until stiff peaks...Never once has this failed me....I have not used the piping gel

floral1210 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 13

Just bumping to get more responses...Still puzzled

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:29am
post #5 of 13

I dissolve unflavored gelatin in COLD water. After a few minutes, I put in in the stove with low fire and whisk it up until it is dissolved--making sure the mixture doesn't get hot/warm. I then pour it to the lightly whipped cream (heavy whipping cream) and whip.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:30am
post #6 of 13

I dissolve unflavored gelatin in COLD water. After a few minutes, I put in in the stove with low fire and whisk it up until it is dissolved--making sure the mixture doesn't get hot/warm. I then pour it to the lightly whipped cream (heavy whipping cream) and whip.

cjsunshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjsunshine Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:16am
post #7 of 13

I've used both dissolved gelatin and piping gel. I would say that the dissolved gelatin works pretty well. I haven't had a problem with the piping gel, but I do know that if the cream has been whipped too long already, that it will curdle and become butter after awhile. KitchenKrafts sells a stabilizing ingredient for whipped cream. Hope this helps!

floral1210 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for the ideas. I'll just have to try another method, since this one didn't seem to be good for me.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 13

I avoid the hassle and buy Pastry Pride. icon_smile.gif

cjsunshine Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 13

I used to be a cake decorator at Walmart, and then for Safeway. I can't remember which one used that brand, but the reason I don't use a pre-made whipped frosting like that, is the chemical factor. When I used it at the store, it tasted okay at first, but then it would leave an aftertaste that was very chemical. I must say,though, that it made really easy flowers. the roses were super easy to make.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 13

If you are looking for a great whipped cream type icing, try the Whimsical Bakehouse - House Buttercream. It's super soft and tastes great. It is what I make for people who don't like the heaviness of regular BC. It's fun to make because it grows in the mixer. thumbs_up.gif

cjsunshine Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:45pm
post #12 of 13

I think I'll at least look that up. I am willing to try new things. icon_smile.gif

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm
post #13 of 13

For consistent results, the only stabilizer I use is Dr. Oetker Whipit. I buy my packets at Meijer Grocery, located in the international foods aisle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%