Llc Question

Business By drummer27 Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 10:52pm by drummer27

drummer27 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 5

I'm hoping that someone on here can help answer my question. I want to be able to bring in a little extra money and do cakes for people other than my own family and friends. I've done some research on opening home bakery but it looks like I wont be able to get licensed at my home because no pets are allowed in the home (which I totally understand) and we are not willing to give up our cats and rabbit. That being said if I find a kitchen and rent out the space what else do I need to get. Do I just need to get an LLC then or do I need other things. My husband has his own consulting business under an LLC but he isn't sure about what applies with selling food. I have contacted our township office and I am still waiting to hear back from them. I'm hoping that someone who has been through it will be able to help me try to get my idea off the ground. Any information will help. Thanks!

4 replies
costumeczar Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 5

Get an LLC right off the bat, so that you won't have to re-do everything if you start as a sole prop then decide to change later. It will probably be better to be an LLC if you're using someone else's facility, too...One more layer of protection for you.

drummer27 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks. Do I need to get insurance on top of that too?

costumeczar Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 5

Oh, yeah! Ask your home insurance agent what kind of insurance caterers use, they'll be able to give you some information.

drummer27 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%