Newbie Needs Help In Texas...

Business By kikster Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 1:13pm by kikster

kikster Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all!! I am a registered newbie, but have been reading and learning so much from all of you for months and months.

I am interested in becoming licensed in TX. I know I can't operate out of my home, so will probably go the route of renting commercial kitchen space. My question is, for anyone in TX, where to begin? Do I need to talk to someone locally, in my local chamber of commerce? Or call TXDH? I am sort of overwhelmed and don't know where to begin.

Thank you in advance for any help, AND, anyone know the trick to posting pictures? Can't seem to get it to work!

8 replies
notjustcake Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 9

I live in Oklahom and the laws are very different, first you need to find a place to rent.

It took me 3 years to find mine it should be easier for you to find if you live near a major city in Texas.

You have a ways to go so slow down and before you think of anything else find a kitchen to rent. If you do not have you can't get all the other stuff to go into getting a license and all.

If you have anymore questions you can pm if you like

mbt4955 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 9

Check out Earlene Moore's website. Earlene is in Texas, she is legal and she shares some excellent information on her website.

Good luck with the new business, kikster. I'm glad you decided to jump in!

cakesdivine Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 9

What county are you in. Depending on your county will determine if there is a local HD authority or if you are governed by your metro area or the state of texas itself. Go online to your county website and then look for the HD. If the HD only seems to have information about immunizations and nothing about food, then if you also live in a metro area (Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, etc.) they more than likely handle your licensing requirements. If you live in a rural area and your local county HD doesn't address food business licensing then you are governed by the State of Texas so go to their website to fill out your license app.

kikster Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 9

I live in Cedar Park which is a northern suburb of Austin. Austin is Harris County, and Cedar Park is Williamson. Thanks for the tip, I will look into this on the Williamson CO website.

kelleym Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 9

Hi kikster, we are neighbors! If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

cakesdivine Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:18am
post #7 of 9

FYI Austin IS NOT Harris county...Houston is. Austin is Travis county.

1234me Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 11:50am
post #8 of 9

I am in a suburb of Dallas and I have to dela with he HD out of Austin, we don't have anyone local. The guys there are always so very nice and helpful! I can PM you their number if you need it - just don't ahve it with me right now - not at my usual computer.

kikster Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 9

duh are right! Harris is Houston, Austin is TRAVIS CO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%