Cookies Falling Flat-Help!

Baking By mirda6275 Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm by EvMarie

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 9

I make a white chocolate macadamia cookie that my family loves, no big secret ingredient, just a recipe I found online that I stick with. Everyone loves how they taste, so I don't want to make big changes to the recipe...but I hate how the cookies look. They almost always turn out like crispy, flat disks.

I really want cookies that turn out thick and rich, like cookies you'd buy at a store without changing the overall taste of the cookie. Any suggestions? I've tried making changes to baking time (lower temp for a few minutes longer, a higher temp for a shorter time) and the only change is burning or not burning the cookies.

TIA

8 replies
CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 9

Try Parchment paper, add a 'lil more flour and use a cookie scoop and stick 'em in the freezer/fridge for a few mins to firm up!
Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

pikle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pikle Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 9

those sound yummy!! I don't know what's in the recipe... but I have found that in my choc chip cookies, I substitute half of the butter quantity with shortening and a touch of water (so if I need 1 c butter I actually use 1/2 c butter + 1/2 cup Crisco shortening + 3 teaspoons water). This seems to help them not flatten so much. However, I'm with you. I would LOVE to know how the stores get them so plump. My favs are the Doubletree Choc Chip cookies and I can never get mine to be so thick.... sigh icon_biggrin.gif.

But maybe the shortening would help a little???

-Nicole

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 9

I'm with you too as i've been trying recipe after recipe and cannot seem to get that thickness and chewiness.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 9

have you tried refrigerating the dough for 30 - 60 minutes before baking the cookies? I find that helps keep the cookies from flattening out some....

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 9

If they have a lot of butter, they will spread flat, unless you want to add shortening and I'm not a fan. I hate flat cookies! The only way I have found to get thick choc chip cookies w/o them flattening is to bake them in a pan and then cut out that way. You can take the scraps and make a trifle or add them to a bowl of ice cream. icon_smile.gif

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 9

I too HATE flat/crispy cookies. With my choc chip, I keep the butter the same ( I also don;t like the taste of crisco), but I add an extra 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 tsp of baking powder. Everyone raves about them. Give that a try and see.

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 9

I too HATE flat/crispy cookies. With my choc chip, I keep the butter the same ( I also don;t like the taste of crisco), but I add an extra 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 tsp of baking powder. Everyone raves about them. Give that a try and see.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 9

There's an episode with Alton Brown on Good Eats. He talks about changing a chocolate chip cookie recipe several ways to achieve different characterisitcs in a cookie. One was for a crispy cookie, one was for a chewy cookie, and there was something else. I can't remember all of it but there were changes to the white sugar/brown sugar ratio and butter/shortening and I think one of the leavening agents.

Maybe you can find it online somewhere?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%