Redemption After Ruining Someone's Wedding...is It Possible?

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm by mackeymom

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 17

Some of you may remember about a year ago when I had my first and ONLY real disaster with a wedding cake!!! Here is the link if any of you missed it!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-591133-0.html

In any case, I felt like I completely ruined someone's wedding. She didn't even get to keep her top tier of her cake for her anniversary. However...a year later, she actually called me and asked if I could remake the top tier of her cake for their one year anniversary, that she still thought it was the best cake she'd ever tasted!! She told me she still had the coupon I'd given her and would like to put it towards the anniversary cake. Of course, I told her don't even think about it...there is no charge ( I still have nightmares about that cake falling).

In any case, I asked her how many people she needed cake for and she said there would just be a few....maybe 5 all together over for dinner that night (another couple with the same anniversary and her parents, maybe)

So instead of making a 6" round like she'd asked for I completely remade her entire 4 tiered wedding cake, only in miniature form! It stood only about 10" tall from top to bottom with the fondant roses on top and the cake board.
She actually teared up when she saw it, since she'd never seen the full size version before it met it's demise.
She said she took pictures of it and people thought that they were photos from the wedding cake before it fell........that they couldn't tell it was so small in the photo. She said she almost feels like the one thing she didn't get (photos of her original cake) has been given back to her in a way!!

Could it be that this cake was my redemption?? LOL

In any case, she was awesome about the whole ordeal from the beginning...I was the one freaking out!
So here's the cake.......thanks for listening to me ramble about this SAME cake 2 years in a row LOL
Tina
LL

16 replies
pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 17

Oh this is such a great story!! It actually brought tears to my eyes! It was such a sweet gesture to replicate the original wedding cake. Your cake is gorgeous.

Yay for you! And for redemption!
icon_smile.gif patti

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 17

Congratulations! I think you have definitely redeemed yourself! To make a bride feel so happy about her cake a year after her wedding day is fantastic! Congratulations! The cake is absolutely gorgeous!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 17

thanks, leave it to cake people to understand.........everyone I have told (ie: my mom, and a couple non-cake friends) were like," that's cool"....nobody understood why she would be so happy with a little replica and nobody understood why it was so important to me to give that to her.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 17

Tina!!!! It's perfect....what a sweet story!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 17

what a beautiful story! I think you redeemed yourself in your eyes, too. You did a great job and you finally have a happy ending for this disaster. The cake is so lovely!

Country_girrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Country_girrl Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

thanks, leave it to cake people to understand.........everyone I have told (ie: my mom, and a couple non-cake friends) were like," that's cool"....nobody understood why she would be so happy with a little replica and nobody understood why it was so important to me to give that to her.

This is awesome! I don't think those "noncake" folks can fully understand because they have no idea what things go through our heads and hearts as we are doing cakes. The stress and nerves that go with it along with the greatest fear of something happening to it.

The cake was beautiful as well as the ending!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 17

That is a great story. I guess a lot of time we are harder on ourselves than the customer. The cake is really beautiful.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 17

You did a wonderful thing!!!! You definitely redeemed yourself and went above and beyond to do so!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 17

Oh what a heartbreaking story with a terrificly fantastic end!! it must of been so awful for you having your wedding cake fall, and the poor bride!! but good on you for doing this for her, wow i love these types of stories icon_biggrin.gif really brighten up a day!

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 17

What a GREAT story!!
THIS is who we are in are finest moments!! You make me proud!!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 17

Tina, I do remember your original post about this wedding cake and remember feeling absolutely terrible for you! Now I can only feel good for you! What a great ending to this year long saga for you! I know this has taken a heavy load off your heart and mind!
Redemption at its best!!
Awesome! Just totally awesome!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:30pm
post #13 of 17

I went back to read the original story, and see the original photos, as well as the new postings. The whole story seems to be one of disappointment turning into sheer joy at coming full circle. All of the cakes are/were gorgeous, and while I am sure you were both very disappointed at what happened on the wedding day, there was obviously a lot of understanding, respect and love for the work you did in order for her to come back and ask for her anniversary cake! And there was certainly a lot of understanding and love on your part to have gone that extra mile. That's the kind of thing all aspects of life need today...maybe our country would be in a much better place!!

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:31pm
post #14 of 17

I went back to read the original story, and see the original photos, as well as the new postings. The whole story seems to be one of disappointment turning into sheer joy at coming full circle. All of the cakes are/were gorgeous, and while I am sure you were both very disappointed at what happened on the wedding day, there was obviously a lot of understanding, respect and love for the work you did in order for her to come back and ask for her anniversary cake! And there was certainly a lot of understanding and love on your part to have gone that extra mile. That's the kind of thing all aspects of life need today...maybe our country would be in a much better place!!

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:39pm
post #15 of 17

Congratulations on a happy ending at last! You definitely deserve it!!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:49pm
post #16 of 17

This makes me so happy for you and for the newlyweds. I remember this happening, and I can't believe it has already been a year since. Thanks for sharing a great moment.

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #17 of 17

I agree! Well done! Both cakes are beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%