Redemption After Ruining Someone's Wedding...is It Possible?

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 1:22pm by lthiele

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 15

Some of you may remember about a year ago when I had my first and ONLY real disaster with a wedding cake!!! Here is the link if any of you missed it!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-591133-0.html

In any case, I felt like I completely ruined someone's wedding. She didn't even get to keep her top tier of her cake for her anniversary. However...a year later, she actually called me and asked if I could remake the top tier of her cake for their one year anniversary, that she still thought it was the best cake she'd ever tasted!! She told me she still had the coupon I'd given her and would like to put it towards the anniversary cake. Of course, I told her don't even think about it...there is no charge ( I still have nightmares about that cake falling).

In any case, I asked her how many people she needed cake for and she said there would just be a few....maybe 5 all together over for dinner that night (another couple with the same anniversary and her parents, maybe)

So instead of making a 6" round like she'd asked for I completely remade her entire 4 tiered wedding cake, only in miniature form! It stood only about 10" tall from top to bottom with the fondant roses on top and the cake board.
She actually teared up when she saw it, since she'd never seen the full size version before it met it's demise.
She said she took pictures of it and people thought that they were photos from the wedding cake before it fell........that they couldn't tell it was so small in the photo. She said she almost feels like the one thing she didn't get (photos of her original cake) has been given back to her in a way!!

Could it be that this cake was my redemption?? LOL

In any case, she was awesome about the whole ordeal from the beginning...I was the one freaking out!
So here's the cake.......thanks for listening to me ramble about this SAME cake 2 years in a row LOL
Tina
LL

14 replies
Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:16am
post #2 of 15

Wow, I read the innitial post...so sorry that happened..but at least she did call back, and i'm sure she will continue to order from you. I'm sure she understood that it can happen and that you tried your best to save it.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:24am
post #3 of 15

what a wonderful story! I know you were so freaked out by your disaster, but it sounds like you had a wonderful bride who understood, and now you have made her so happy! I'm tearing up reading this! I love that you did that for her and it meant so much to her. You are very talented, and obviously have delicious cake!

Tweets350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweets350 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:25am
post #4 of 15

Redemption at it's best! You did a great job, and the bride is obviously happy!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 15

Great client, great customer service! I love the fact you redid the cake in mini form. icon_smile.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:41am
post #6 of 15

I'm so glad you had a chance to redem yourself, and in what way!!!, beautiful. I hope you can actually put your nightmares away for good thumbs_up.gif

LambrinieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LambrinieCakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:45am
post #7 of 15

That's so wonderful that you were able to redo her cake in a mimi style. I bet she was so happy to see it, and now you should be able to remove that heavy weight off your shoulders.

Wonderful Story!

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:52am
post #8 of 15

I think that you have more than redeemed yourself, and have probably earned a lifelong customer!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:06am
post #9 of 15

what a wonderful customer! to be so understanding! i recently had a 4 tier topsy turvy collapse 15 minutes before the party started. i rushed back to the venue but there was no saving it at all. i rolled a big sheet of fondant to cover the obliterated back side and put the top layer next to what was left of the bottom 3 tiers. i felt so bad and told her that i tore up the $300 check i'd been written. the woman who ordered the cake called me that night after the party to tell me that it was the best cake she had ever eaten and she totally understands that accidents happen. a week later i got a check in the mail from her and a lovely thank you note saying she'd recommend me to anyone. it reminds me that there are nice, understanding people in the world. needless to say, i've offered to do a cake for her pro bono at her next event! i MUST redeem myself!

Starlitpink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starlitpink Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 15

I felt like I had ruined a wedding once too. I had a three tierred western themed wedding cake and a tres leches grooms cake. They had attended a tasting, and I had sketched their dream cake. I was at the kitchen until 1AM and thought I would breeze through the next morning. When I returned, the tres leches was hard and flat and not salvagable, so I had to rebake that one. I delivered the cakes as the bride was walking down the isle. I wouldn't cahrge her, and she later sent me a check in the mail. It was never cashed. Even though the cakes were not up to my personal stanards, she loved them. She has ordered from me before, and she has referred my to several clients. This was the first wedding I started writing gift certificates for a free topper cake for the first anniversary. All of my brides have loved this extra, and at least they will get a fresh cake for their anniversary.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:10am
post #11 of 15

I remember your original post last year. What a great surprise for the bride to have a miniature replica of it for their anniversary.

Beautiful cake! icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:31pm
post #12 of 15

That is so awesome! How very thoughtful that you did that! If I was the bride I would have been just as overjoyed! Bravo!!! Beautifull mini in perfect scale it looks grand. thumbs_up.gif

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:57am
post #13 of 15

You certainly redeemed yourself. What a lovely thing to do! Even I was a bit teary when I read your story.

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:13pm
post #14 of 15

What a beautiful gesture. You have definetly redeemed yourself. thumbs_up.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 1:22pm
post #15 of 15

Tina - my stomach is twisted and in knots just reading the original story! You have more than redeemed yourself and you definitely cannot tell the second cake is smaller - I bet the bride is delighted to add these new photos to her albums! Such a nice gesture!

It will be a while before I take on anyones wedding cake after reading this though! lol Too much pressure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%