Chocolate Raspberry Cake Question

Decorating By Mylittleflutterby Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm by drakegore

Mylittleflutterby Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 10

I have a recipe for a chocolate raspberry cake that I want to try, but it calls for some balsamic vinegar in it. This seems like a strange ingredient to me. has anyone tried it before or is there a good chocolate raspberry cake recipe out there?

Thanks!

9 replies
Mylittleflutterby Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 10

Anyone? I hate to waste ingredients

mariela_ms Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 10

I've never done a chocolate/raspberry cake... but I agree. it sounds weird to have balsamic vinegar in the recipe. I think the only way to find out is to try it. I would also hate to waste the ingredients, I hope someone else can be of better help! Sorry!

Debluvs2bake Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 10

Balsalmic vinegar is used commonly with fruit, especially strawberries. Use an aged variety, at least 6 years old. It's surprisingly good!

creations08 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 10

I made a chocolate cake and used a raspberry filling recipe I found here on CC. The filling recipe called for chambord, so I also used the chambord(raspberry Liquor) to spray it on the baked cake. That's as close I've got to making raspberry-chocolate cake. Everyone really liked it.
HTHS icon_smile.gif

Mylittleflutterby Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks so much everyone! I am going to give it a try icon_biggrin.gif

2SchnauzerLady Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 10

Balsamic vinegar is sweet and is perfect with berries over ice cream. I've had cakes made with regular vinegar, and they were very good, so the balsamic vinegar will work very well. I'd like to see that cake with the balsamic vinegar in it - I bet it's wonderful!

eilidh Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 10

Not made a cake like that but have made an eggless choc cake in the past with regular vinegarand it was yummy! Also agree wikth the above a lot of recent chef recipes have the strawberrys done in balsamic as a dessert so sure it will be lovely. Belazu do a very "sweet" aged Balsamic, that would be perfect but not sure how easy that is for you to get hold of.

eilidh Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 10

Not made a cake like that but have made an eggless choc cake in the past with regular vinegarand it was yummy! Also agree wikth the above a lot of recent chef recipes have the strawberrys done in balsamic as a dessert so sure it will be lovely. Belazu do a very "sweet" aged Balsamic, that would be perfect but not sure how easy that is for you to get hold of.

drakegore Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 10

i've made choc/rasp cupcakes that had balsamic vinegar in it and as odd as it sounds, they were wonderful. there was no "vinegary" taste in the cupcakes icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%