How Do I Do This?

Decorating By clarasmommy Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 10:31pm by Rylan

clarasmommy Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 8

My sister wants this cake for her wedding. I think it's really pretty, and would love to do it for her, but I need some advice from all you wonderful people... I don't know where to start. How can I get the fondant to stick to the cake since it will be kinda heavy... I've never done anything this fancy... at all. I've only done a couple birthday cakes, for my little girl. Nothing pretty.. HELP!
LL

7 replies
psurrette Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 8

gee its really pretty. sorry I cant help. Your in Oklahoma call Kerry Vincent. She told a competitor on the food network her fodant was too thick on a cake similar. She is very helpful! But I am sure someone here can help. good luck!

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 8

That's really pretty but I think it will be a real chore to cut and serve...you might mention that to your sister.

Anyhow, I would guess you'd use tylose mixed with water to stick the fondant on. It holds better than meringue powder mixed with water. You could put balls of plastic wrap under the ruffles to help them hold their shape while they dry. You might want to make the ruffles out of gumpaste or a 50/50 mix so you could roll it thinner and so it would dry faster.

Andy383240 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 8

I suggest you make a regular doweled tiered cake and add two ruffles to each tier starting from the bottom working up. In this photo it looks like the tiers are extra high, but you can achieve the look without so much height. For the reversed ruffle at the top, I'd wait for the fondant to dry out a little before attaching it. Add your flowers last to hide the seam. It will take time and patience ,but regular techniques for gluing fondant should work. If you cover the cake in fondant ,then you should be able to attach the ruffles by damping the edges with water.If you can get the fondant thin and wait a bit for it to dry between layers it should be OK. The roses look to be fondant that is rolled up like ribbon roses. They aren't hard to make. There are lots of videos online with instructions on making this kind of flower. I hope I've helped you a little. I'm sure others will add their ideas. You CAN do it !! Best of Luck.

Doug Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 8

ever made a dress with ruffles on ruffles on ruffles????

same concept.

so --

stack tiers. -- these are the shell of the dress. to make change from tier to tier less obvious, I'd keep the tiers only 1" different in diameter. As mentioned above -- tall tiers (6") will also accentuate the look of being a dress

start at bottom add first row of pleats -- very thin fondant, mix with gumpaste for extra stiffness.

you'll roll out and then cut a piece that is wide as you want the ruffle deep (say 4") and at least 2x as long as the circumference of the outer edge of the ruffle to allow for pleating -- you'll probably have to do it in multi-parts that are seamed together.

let first ruffle stiffen a bit --- enough it can support weight of next ruffle without deforming. can support w/ cotton balls, rolled tissue, etc. while it stiffens.

then add next on top of it

repeat until all ruffles added. length but not depth will decrease as you go up the cake (each tier gets smaller around = shorter length)

it appears in photo that as they went up the cake, the vertical spacing of the ruffles increased some too -- lower ones much more closely packed, upper, especially last one, much farther apart.

to glue to cake -- mix gumpaste w/ water until it is a elmer's glue consistency.

top most ruffle above the girdle of flowers is done the same way just put on up-side-down. it would go on first, then the flowers to hide the joint.

clarasmommy Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you all so very much... I'm gonna make a couple practice rounds I suppose... I'm super nervous! I have a while though, they aren't getting married till next year.

solascakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 8

Wow lovely cake,it's awesome.

Rylan Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 8

I've done a similar technique to that (second fondant cake).

Make long thick strips of fondant then wrap it around the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%