Wasc Cake Without The Almond

Decorating By Trance Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 6:07pm by kakeladi

Trance Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:15am
post #1 of 13

Has anyone ever made the WASC without the almond extract and replaced it with vanilla extract. I have a cake order and she wants just a white cake. I love this cake and was wondering if anyone knows if that would work and still taste as good.

Thanks in advance...
Trance

12 replies
CakeDiane Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:23am
post #2 of 13

YES-- I do it ALL the time--that's my "go to" white cake recipe. Since vanilla is already an ingredient, I don't replace the almond with MORE vanilla--I just leave out the almond. It's SOOOOOO good!

CakeDiane Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:24am
post #3 of 13

YES-- I do it ALL the time--that's my "go to" white cake recipe. Since vanilla is already an ingredient, I don't replace the almond with MORE vanilla--I just leave out the almond. It's SOOOOOO good!

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:43am
post #4 of 13

I make it without the almond all the time. I do add extra vanilla to replace the almond.

indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 11:48am
post #5 of 13

I view any recipe as "just a suggestion". I don't read "1 tsp almond" ... I read "1 tsp of any flavoring".

I tell my kids, "Don't ask if something will work .... ask yourself "why wouldn't it?"" thumbs_up.gif

tallgood Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 13

I picked a bottle of both creme bouquet and Princess Emulsion. How much of either would you use in the WASC, and would you add it in addition to the vanilla, or replace the vanilla? I am new at this, so I am kicking my question in here since it applies to the WASC. TIA

niccicola Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 13

i like that, Indy. Good advice!

JodieF Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 13

I never use almond...I'm allergic to tree nuts. So, it's always white vanilla sour cream for me. Delicious!

Jodie

Win Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgood

I picked a bottle of both creme bouquet and Princess Emulsion. How much of either would you use in the WASC, and would you add it in addition to the vanilla, or replace the vanilla? I am new at this, so I am kicking my question in here since it applies to the WASC. TIA

Emulsions are thicker and more concentrated. Personally, I'm not crazy about Creme Bouquet as I think it has a hard citric edge to it if it is used too heavily. If adding emulsions to any batter, I'd add no more than one teaspoon which is also recommended by those who manufacture them. (I love the one labeled ... Soft Buttery Dough.... adds a buttery underlying layer to the profile.

Criola Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 13

I used almond once, didn't like it and have been eliminating it since and love the recipe.

Criola Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 13

I used almond once, didn't like it and have been eliminating it since and love the recipe.

No-goodLazyBum Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:55pm
post #12 of 13

I agree with indydebi. I mix and match flavorings for WASC all the time. Worst case, all vanilla has never failed.

kakeladi Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 13

If you read my *original* WASC recipe you will see where I have suggested other options for flavorings.
I have repeatedly said flavorings are definitely a personal choice.
You won't hurt my feelings one bit if you change &/or omit any part of the flavorings. Find what works for you and stick with it. Noone says you MUST use almond OR vanilla OR creme bouquet.

BTW Win: I agree w/you about creme bouquet......never have liked it due to the heavy citrus flavor - again JMHO icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%