Has Anyone Ever Used Dry Ice As Part Of Their Cake Set Up

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 3:52am by Molly2

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:26am
post #1 of 9

Has anyone ever used dry ice as part of their cake set up I will be making a Pirate them cake along with the island and treasurer chest and I wanted the set up to have a foggy affect around the cake I was wondering it the dry ice got everything wet or damp

Molly

8 replies
katcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katcakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:33am
post #2 of 9

I used dry ice in a cauldron cake once. I carved the cake to hold a bucket to put the ice and water in. What I would suggest for your pirate idea is a moat around the cake to hold the water and ice combo

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:34am
post #3 of 9

yes, dry ice creates a warm water vapor that WILL get things wet....

but how wet "depends"...

depends on ambient air temperature -- warmer it is, less likely

depends on the temp of the objects it touches -- warmer, less likely.

depends on length of contact time -- less, less likely

depends on volume of fog made -- less, less likely

for most cake effects where you have a very small amount for a very short time it shouldn't be a problem

(would like to hear about the time a student of mine almost electrocuted himself -- got a nasty shock -- while playing electric guitar on stage enveloped in dry ice fog in winter?)

Molly2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #4 of 9

So sould I use very small pieces of ice at a time this party will be in doors my concern is wet cake icon_confused.gif

Molly

Molly2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:57am
post #5 of 9

And Doug is your student ok did he live though his show

Molly

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:05am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2

So sould I use very small pieces of ice at a time this party will be in doors my concern is wet cake icon_confused.gif

Molly

size is also dependent upon how much room you have to hide it in the cake

small piece in hot water will make a nice effect that will last a short time.

have you planned for where you're going to put it?

katcake's moat idea sounds really cool! (tho' I'd like it coming out of a skull)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2

And Doug is your student ok did he live though his show

Molly

oh, he lived and learned! they were using 2 - 55 gallon drums of boiling water (the drums were on hot plates -- already a disaster in the making!) and then dumped 5 lbs of dry ice into each -- can we say major cloud!?

he had to stop dancing too as the stage was so wet and slippery.

we all had a good laugh and then wanted to kill him for all the cleanup and lugging that had to to be done.

Molly2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:28am
post #7 of 9

Doug I too work in the school system I can just imagine the site of that kid icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif glad he wasn't hurt I have been witness to saturation like that I was thinking about using a large cake board lifting it a little and placing the dry ice behind the cake I am planning on having the cake set up against the wall with a very large pirate picture behind it but the moat is given me something to think about

Molly

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:46am
post #8 of 9

I used dry ice for a volcano cake this past February. You only need a small amount of water in with the dry ice, my cake was not soggy at all. I had hollowed out the center of the cake adn put in pvc pipe, and sealed the bottom of the pipe. Dry ice does not last more than just a few minutes, so dont think your goona have a fog for 15 minutes... I had to keep adding more dry ice and warm water to wake up my volcano every 5 minutes or so... BUT... it was really cool!!!
LL
LL

Molly2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:52am
post #9 of 9

cool valcano Thank You for the pitures and information

Molly thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%