Pan Sizes For A Four Tier Topsy Turvy Cake

Decorating By Leah1204 Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 12:13pm by Leah1204

Leah1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leah1204 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:06am
post #1 of 6

So I"m making my friends wedding cake and its a 4 tier topsy turvy cake I'm not quite sure of the pan sizes I will need. I understand the construction but wasn't sure what would be good sizes. Any ideas would be great. I attached the picture she sent me of the cake she wants me to make.

BTW small extra question.. anyone have an appox. price for making this cake at cost.
LL

5 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:34am
post #2 of 6

This is just my opinion, and I have no experience with TT's, BUT I have plenty of experience in looking at them and I know a good TT when I DO see one. I think one of the biggest things in making one look good is at least a 3 (4 is even better) inch difference between tiers. I've seen plenty that would have looked a hell of a lot better with the bigger difference between tiers.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:53am
post #3 of 6

Depending on how many servings...12",10",8",and 6" looks great when the base of each are trimmed down 1"-1 1/2". This would, like Jamie mentioned, give a great effect.

ETA: Regardless of size required for servings, I begin mine with a 2" difference in pan sizes then trim the bases.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:57am
post #4 of 6

Yes, forgot to mention that. A straight 4 inch difference would not be feasible in most situations. So, yes, tapered down, a 2" pan diff totally does it well.

twinkletwinkledliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkletwinkledliz Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:07am
post #5 of 6

i did one this wknd (will be posting pics tmw) and it was a 15,12,9,6...looked great!

Leah1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leah1204 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks guys for all your help.. I'll ask my friend now if would like the 15, 12, 9, 6 or the 12, 10 , 8, 6. I can't wait to post this cake I hope it turns out well, but the wedding isn't till Aug. awhile away yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%