Tiered Cakes...?

Decorating By Cobokans87 Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 11:39pm by Cobokans87

Cobokans87 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:48am
post #1 of 5

Ok so I am new to cakes but I am trying to learn and eventually have my own little business. I was wondering though, do you need any kind of special recipe to make tiered cakes. Does any recipe work or is there some way that you make the cakes so that they can with stand the weight of the other layers? I would love any and all advice, thanks!

4 replies
JanH Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:57am
post #2 of 5

Hi and Welcome on your 1st post, Cobokans87. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

The cakes you choose to make only need to be sturdy enough to support the weight of their decorations - not the weight of the cake tiers above them, that's the job of your cake support system.

The above super thread has popular CC recipes for American buttercreams, fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC). There are also links to cake making and assembly help (with illustrations and complete directions).

audrey0522 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:59am
post #3 of 5

You do use supports! There are lots of posts talking about different ways to support tiered cakes. SPS, bubble tea straws, dowels etc. You can learn a tremedous amount here. WASC is a great cake recipe to begin with. You can find it in the recipe section.

Rylan Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:01am
post #4 of 5

Go Jan GO!

Cobokans87 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 5

Awesome! Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%