How Would You Do This (Cake Planned By Someone Else)?....

Decorating By clovely Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 12:45pm by clovely

clovely Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 10

http://www.instructables.com/id/Star-Wars-Cake-Mustafar/?&sort=NEWEST&limit=50&offset=50

...My friend picked this cake for her son's birthday this weekend and bought most of the stuff to make it and had it planned - but there's been a death in the family so she has to fly out of town tomorrow and will be back on Thursday night. She's going to still have the party on Saturday but asked me to pull the cake together for her. I'm happy to do it but kinda wish I'd had it beginning to end....

I've read the directions and think I understand what he did although it wouldn't necessarily be the way I'd have done it. My friend bought a lot of ingredients and supplies that I want to use but they wouldn't necessarily be the things I'd have bought...

She gave me chocolate chips which I guess will work although I prefer almond bark or candy melts for something like this...and six tubs of Betty Crocker Whipped Cream Cheese frosting. :-/

I guess I can make that work - it doesn't have any piping or borders to it, I suppose.

Do you have any suggestions here? She thinks she'll have about 40 people (20 kids + whoever comes with them)...I have a 12" square but don't think it's big enough. Think it should be square...what do you think?

Will the white chocolate chips be OK for making those little platforms over the volcano? It's going to bug me that the figurines are taller than the volcano.

Thanks!

9 replies
clovely Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 10

BTW, I think the 12" wouldn't be big enough because I think it should be a single layer - more like a sheet cake...can't find my 11x15 - think I loaned to to someone! I could put two 9x13s together?

brincess_b Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 10

why not do a double layer 12 inch? it would still look good, and according to wiltons party chart, that is 40 servings - and thats generous sizes. or yes, two single layer 9x13s would work too. or two single 12 inch squares next to each other. entirely up to you i think!

if you have seen the film, the cake figures arent really out of proportion, theres lava spouting out all over the place, its not all proper sized volcanoes. if you feel generous, you could always make the volcano bigger - if shed be happy with it.

id think the choc chips would be fine. maybe make those bits early, with spares, and you can always buy your usual if it doesnt work out. maybe even like gumpaste discs instead too?
xx

clovely Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 10

Also just ocurred to me that the directions say to put dry ice and water down in the volcano. I think he must've taken the discs off and then did the special effect - wouldn't it be cooler if the "steam" came out from under the disc? Would that destroy it if it's made out of white chocolate? Would gumpaste hold up for that??

brincess_b Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 10

i dont know how dry ice really works. if it gives off any moisture, then it might not be so great with gumpaste (yes, i would just sit the disc back on top, it will come out the sides), but then again, its only for a tiny bit of time, then theyd be eating it anyway.
where do you even buy it small scale? it can be dangerous, so it might not be an over the counter thing.
curious wikipedia fact - you can carry up to 2kg of it in your hand luggage!
xx

matthewkyrankelly Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 10

Keep this simple. Yes, I would make two 9x13's and set them next to each other. Single layers seem to work best for large groups of kids. Use the ingredients you have. Make the cake and frost with orange tinted frosting. Use a parchment to spread melted chocolate with a little bit of crisco. Let it cool. Cut chocolate into jagged pieces. Place on cake. Use same method for white pieces. Remember, the kids don't need perfection. The parent expects this. We would probably all do it differently and use different ingredients. But I say , make the best with what you've got. It will look fine and probably exceed their expectations.

clovely Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks, you're right. Last question - on the chocolate....should this/can this be left out of the fridge? Will this Betty Crocker icing be ok? I'll have to do this Thursday to get it to her Friday for the party Saturday. If we refrigerate it, will the chocolate look cloudy or sweat?

clovely Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks, you're right. Last question - on the chocolate....should this/can this be left out of the fridge? Will this Betty Crocker icing be ok? I'll have to do this Thursday to get it to her Friday for the party Saturday. If we refrigerate it, will the chocolate look cloudy or sweat?

matthewkyrankelly Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:36pm
post #9 of 10

Box it up. Don't refrigerate unless your house is very hot. If your house id in the 65-70 F temp range, two days is fine. All of the products you are using are stable.

clovely Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:45pm
post #10 of 10

we are in Florida - this house is set to 74 but it's probably best for the chocolate to be out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%