How Would You Do This (Cake Planned By Someone Else)?....

Decorating By clovely Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 10:57pm by notjustcakes

clovely Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 2

...My friend picked this cake for her son's birthday this weekend and bought most of the stuff to make it and had it planned - but there's been a death in the family so she has to fly out of town tomorrow and will be back on Thursday night. She's going to still have the party on Saturday but asked me to pull the cake together for her. I'm happy to do it but kinda wish I'd had it beginning to end....

I've read the directions and think I understand what he did although it wouldn't necessarily be the way I'd have done it. My friend bought a lot of ingredients and supplies that I want to use but they wouldn't necessarily be the things I'd have bought...

She gave me chocolate chips which I guess will work although I prefer almond bark or candy melts for something like this...and six tubs of Betty Crocker Whipped Cream Cheese frosting. :-/

I guess I can make that work - it doesn't have any piping or borders to it, I suppose.

Do you have any suggestions here? She thinks she'll have about 40 people (20 kids + whoever comes with them)...I have a 12" square but don't think it's big enough. Think it should be square...what do you think?

Will the white chocolate chips be OK for making those little platforms over the volcano? It's going to bug me that the figurines are taller than the volcano.

1 reply
notjustcakes Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 2

You definitely need a quarter sheet for that many people. I think the white choc. chips will work. I agree, though, working with the melts is easier...because it won't sieze up as easy..If your working with the choc. chips keep in mind that contact with any kind of liquid will cause the choc. to sieze up or kind of turn into a hunk of junk...sort of....If it happens, add a teaspoon of crisco at a time and remelt and stir.....add a bit more and keep will usually fix the chocolate sieze....

Quote by @%username% on %date%