Leveling Cake

Decorating By momma28 Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm by JawdroppingCakes

momma28 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 3

Is there ANY alternative to an agbay leveler. I am tired of struggling with leveling my cakes but $175 is steep since I have a $200 bridal expo vendor fee to pay by the end of the month. ANY alternative that actually works consistently

2 replies
peg818 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 3

i actually like the small wilton leveler, what i used to do is just start at the edged of my big cakes, all around them. Then take a piece of unflavored unwaxed dental floss and wrap it around where the cuts were started to finish the middle.

Another option, is to level in the pan, just use a long knife and cut off the top using the pan edge as a guide.

The best option (and one i haven't mastered) is to hold the knife steady and slice off that top of cake nice and level (this takes a talent that i don't think i will ever posses)

JawdroppingCakes Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 3

I like to use measuring cups or those little medicine cups that come with your childrens liquid medication. I find the one that is the right height and flip it over and rest my knife on it and just push the knife into the cake and just push the cup all the way around. It works perfectly for me and I have never had any problems with it. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%