Why Does My Buttercream Crack?

Decorating By Crystal74 Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 2:36am by tonedna

Crystal74 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:24am
post #1 of 10

I usually use the Wilton recipe or occassionly will buy Sam's Club Buttercream if I'm short on time. No matter what I do, after my icing crusts, when I go to transport it always ends up cracking. It's very frustrating icon_cry.gif

HELP!!!

Crystal

9 replies
Charmed Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 10

If your cake board is not thick enough it could bent and cause the cracking. Too little shortening or butter, or liquid also can cause cracks.

tonedna Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 10

I agree.. a board that is too thin will make cracks in the icing after it crust.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Jan14grands Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 10

That is true about the board, shortening, and liquids. BUT, I still have some issues with cracking, even with a sturdy board, plenty of shortening, and the consistency of my icing is good I think. So, I am puzzled with why I have this problem more often than not. It's so frustrating to me icon_sad.gif

Jan14grands Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 10

That is true about the board, shortening, and liquids. BUT, I still have some issues with cracking, even with a sturdy board, plenty of shortening, and the consistency of my icing is good I think. So, I am puzzled with why I have this problem more often than not. It's so frustrating to me icon_sad.gif

tonedna Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 10

Add a little vinegar to the buttercream, it will help with the cracking.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Jan14grands Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #7 of 10

But I do add vinegar and still some cracking and cake has good supports and icing will crack overnight without even being touched or moved. I'm stumpted myself.....

Doug Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:23am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_smile.gif

define: "little"

little as in tsp.? TBS?

or

little as in the Julia Child method
"Add a little wine to the ....." and they she promptly poured nearly half a bottle almost every time!

JanH Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:26am
post #9 of 10
tonedna Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:36am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_smile.gif

define: "little"

little as in tsp.? TBS?

or

little as in the Julia Child method
"Add a little wine to the ....." and they she promptly poured nearly half a bottle almost every time!

I do it by eye...Im going to guess a few drops per cup.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%