Cake Freezing Questions.

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 3:28am by Rylan

MrsNancyB1 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 9

I have several questions about freezing cakes.

1) Do I wait until the cake has cooled to freeze it, or do I put it in the freezer while it's still hot?

2) How do I wrap my cake to prepare it for the freezer? (ie Saran Wrap/ Freezer bags??)

3) When should I pull them out of the freezer when I'm ready to fill and crumb coat?

4) Does freezing change the texture of the cake in any way? Does it become crumbly, or does it still taste like a freshly baked cake?

TIA for any insight! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
MrsNancyB1 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:51am
post #2 of 9

Anyone? icon_cool.gif

icer101 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:05am
post #3 of 9

different people answer these questions different. i personally, let mine cool before wrapping.. they are just warm.. i wrap in saran wrap , then in heavy duty foil..i take mine out several hrs. before torting and filling and icing. i let them thaw, then sit in cool room to take off any condensation.. then proceed with the torting. filling and icing.. freezing cakes , to me. and lots of others on here..,helps them be more moist, etc. that is , if you don,t overbake to start with , which causes dryness... hth i freeze any type of cake, first. alway have and always will.

AuntieE Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:15am
post #4 of 9

You can do a google search and a lot of stuff will come up, I know cuz it's what I did. You can also search the forum here on CC as the same questions was asked her eon CC just several days ago

CakeandDazzle Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:17am
post #5 of 9

1) Do I wait until the cake has cooled to freeze it, or do I put it in the freezer while it's still hot?

I freeze while still steaming.

2) How do I wrap my cake to prepare it for the freezer? (ie Saran Wrap/ Freezer bags??)

I wrap in saran wrap

3) When should I pull them out of the freezer when I'm ready to fill and crumb coat?

I pull them out about 2 hours prior to when i want to torte, or sometimes in the morning.

4) Does freezing change the texture of the cake in any way? Does it become crumbly, or does it still taste like a freshly baked cake?

I don't think so. To me the make them super moist and very very yummy. I freeze all cakes, and really don't like them if they are not frozen!

CakeandDazzle Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:17am
post #6 of 9

dup

CakeandDazzle Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:19am
post #7 of 9

dupe

CakeandDazzle Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:19am
post #8 of 9

Dupe

Rylan Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:28am
post #9 of 9

- I prefer letting it cool completely.

- Wrap it in layers of plastic wrap THEN put it in a ziploc bag/bread bag/use foil

- I usually let it thaw for 30 minutes

- I would say that it depends on the recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%