How Do I Do It....period

Decorating By KakesbyKerri Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 2:10am by pattycakesnj

KakesbyKerri Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 11

Kinda discouraged....this is a bit of a rant...but I need help too icon_mad.gif

I wanted to venture away from the world of decorating with buttercream. I was feeling a bit, for lack of a better word, adventurous, so I ordered some Satin Ice. Just because I want to keep getting better, I made a cake just for the heck of it so that I could try this new fondant. WHAT A FLOP!! tapedshut.gif I put it on the cake and its lumpy....Ok, so I tried a topsy turvy as well, but that should have nothing to do with the lumpiness. My buttercream was smooth, but to me, the fondant just looked lumpy.

Then, as if I wasn't discouraged enough, I wanted to border it in those cute little fondant balls that I see other decorators doing. Yeah, well, apparently I stink at making balls too. icon_redface.gif Why does everybody else have to be so good with fondant and I stink??!!! icon_cry.gif

Sorry, I had to get that out.

Is fondant that hard? Any suggestions on how to make fondant balls? Or, should I say, how to make the balls the same size as the other. (Why is this post starting to sound like a lesson on human anatomy icon_surprised.gif ) And, is there a way to help get rid of the lumpiness? Is Marzipan a better base for the fondant?

10 replies
peg818 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 11

fondant like anything else takes practice. You do need to start with a smooth surface before adding the fondant.

To make the fondant balls all the same size, roll a piece of fondant out, using something for guides (i use two sticks) Then use a round tip to cut circles then just roll.

dorie67 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 11

I agree with peg818 that fondant takes practice. I have never used anything but the Wilton fondant but I do like using it and have not had any real problems. You know the old saying "Practice makes Perfect" princess.gif

Caths_Cakes Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 11

It really is true, practise makes perfect. I have NEVER done a buttercream cake, only fondant. and its weird because although i consider myself good at what i do, there are some days when i have nothing but issues and problems, Sometimes its just one of them days. Dont give up though, keep trying icon_smile.gif

sweetjan Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 11

CaikLdyKG....if you're interested in the fondant, go ahead an get Sugarshack's instructional DVD, 'Flawless Fondant'. You'll be absolutely amazed at how she shows any level, but especially beginners, how to get a beautiful fondant outcome. She takes it step-by-step and everything she says is demo'd on the screen.
She even addresses 'lumpiness'!!!
And one thing I remember from my Wilton class....for consistent size balls, cut out circles with the circle cutter of your choice, then roll that into a ball!!
Works every time!!
HTH

sweetjan Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 11

CaikLdyKG....if you're interested in the fondant, go ahead an get Sugarshack's instructional DVD, 'Flawless Fondant'. You'll be absolutely amazed at how she shows any level, but especially beginners, how to get a beautiful fondant outcome. She takes it step-by-step and everything she says is demo'd on the screen.
She even addresses 'lumpiness'!!!
And one thing I remember from my Wilton class....for consistent size balls, cut out circles with the circle cutter of your choice, then roll that into a ball!!
Works every time!!
HTH

KakesbyKerri Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks ladies. Yes, I am having just one of those days. Feeling just a tad bit whiny today.

Next thing on the list, purchase flawless fondant DVD.

I never thought of using the circle cutter and then rolling that into a ball. I tried the rolling it into a string and then breaking off pieces, and then rolling it. Not such a great idea.

busymom9431 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:52am
post #8 of 11

I don't know what it is called but Wilton sells a fondant paddle
to smooth the fondant once it is on the cake. Your hands can make it
look lumpy. I make sure the fondant is stuck where I want it
and then use the "paddle". Sorry I don't know what they are called.
Maybe someone can help me out. HTH

moonliter Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:00am
post #9 of 11

I'm a beginner and I find fondant way, way easier to use than buttercream anyday. It might be a good idea to take a fondant basic class just to get the hang of it and get started. Then when you practice it on your own it will make a lot more sense.

moonliter Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:01am
post #10 of 11

I'm a beginner and I find fondant way, way easier to use than buttercream anyday. It might be a good idea to take a fondant basic class just to get the hang of it and get started. Then when you practice it on your own it will make a lot more sense.

pattycakesnj Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #11 of 11

busymom9341, it is called a fondant smoother
sweetjan, thanks for the tip to get consistent size balls, never thought of that

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%