Can I Cancel???

Decorating By BellaSweet Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 12:29am by varika

BellaSweet Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 15

Ok so I have two weddings coming up on September 19. Im doing a wedding cake for only one of them. At the time of the agreement and contract signing their was no problem. Well, about 2 days ago I get a family newsletter in the mail stating the my cousin is getting married. On the same day I agreed on the cake!!! Theyve been engaged for a while just havent sent out invites yet. If I had known the date of course I wouldnt be doing a cake for the other girl. But now that I know about my cousin's wedding, I don't want to miss it. Is it wrong to cancel on the cake/bride??? If I did, I would absolutely return her deposit. Or is this cake business suicide? Some please help me...

14 replies
kcw551 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 15

If it was me that you were canceling on, I would be hurt and angry. I realize the position, that you want to go to your cousin's wedding and all that. But I'm sure the other bride doesn't care about that since this is her special day. Would you help her find another bakery/decorator to take the job, or just bail on her? Just my thoughts....

peg818 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 15

find someone to take over the cake for you. Then contact the bride, it would be best if you have a couple of people that are willing to do it for a comparable price. And do it very quickly or she will run out of time to find someone else to do this.

leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 15

Frankly, I'd honor my contract with the customer.

indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 15

I agree that you have an obligation to the contract. And I was also going to suggest contacting a fellow decorator in your area and ask them to deliver and set it up for you.

I just posted in another thread about how this job we've chosen means we miss holidays, weekends and family events. I asked my family to schedule my sister's FUNERAL around my catering schedule. icon_surprised.gif I spent one anniversary sitting at a wedding, cutting their cake; I miss a lot of annual family summer get-togethers because I have a wedding/catering.

It's part of the job.

classiccake Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 15

I had a friend that had a cake business. She called me several times to ask me to do things she had committed, then wanted to do personal things instead. It really irritated me. My thoughts, if you want to run a business, then run the business. If you want to do personal things that conflict with running a business, then get out of the business. You "cannot have your cake and eat it too."

When you said you will do something for a customer, then I think you should do what you said you would do. Sometimes it is inconvenient. Sometimes you miss out on the party others are going to. Sometimes you don't get to a wedding you wish to go to, most of the time you can never make plans for Friday evening because you never know when your work will be done....on and on.

I say, "Unless it is a true emergency, honor your commitments."

Kitagrl Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 15

Yep there's quite a few things I don't get to do or have to schedule around my caking....

That or just schedule things WAYYY in advance so I know not to accept cake orders for certain dates.

BellaSweet Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 15

Yeah icon_cry.gif I guess I already knew the answer to my question. icon_redface.gif Thanks guys... I know how completely wrong it would be to cancel. And I know if I did, that would be very selfish. I was just hoping beyond my dreams icon_wink.gif My husband I shouldnt even dare think of doing such a thing!! icon_rolleyes.gif I know hes right. As you are as well. With setting up the cake and everything and everything, I should be able to have time to make the reception. The party is what count anyway, right!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Misdawn Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 15

I say (if time permits) make the cake and then go to your cousin's reception. Above all, I have to agree with others....I think you should by all mean uphold your end of the contract.

That said, it is your decision ultimately. But if you decide to go to the wedding, then at the very least (if it were me) I would do my very best to find a decorator (that I trusted and was confident in their work) to do the cake for the same price, then if you find someone who can and will do the cake under those conditions, present this entire situation to the bride and see if she will allow the other baker to take care of your obligations to her.

sweetcravings Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 15

If i were you i'd honor your contract and make the cake. I wouldn't be happy about it, but i'd make it. Is there anyway you can deliver the cake early so that there is enough time to go to the reception? Or if out of town, is there a person you trust to set the cake up for you so that you can make part of the ceremony? I can understand how upsetting it is to miss out on something so special, but i guess that's the nature of the business. If i start selling my cakes and commit to a cake order, it would have to be an absolute emergency for me to cancel it. Maybe that's why i haven't jumped into this as a business. It takes lots of commitment and sacrifice.

kkitchen Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:26pm
post #11 of 15

You are obligated to that contract (customer). You have to respect that contract - like you would like them too if it were you.

roweeena Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:41pm
post #12 of 15

Why cant you do both? Are you obligated to do your cousins cake? Or anything else for her wedding other than turn up?

I work another job as well as do cakes and my other job is very unflexable as to time off on the weekend so my cakes are finished friday or even thursday if its fondant and I deliver to the venue before I go to work.

If you cancel, word of mouth will spread quickly. As we all know, people love to bitch and even if it was a family friend I dont think she would hesitate to comment to someone about it.

If you want to do this for a living you need to realise it gets in the way of alot of stuff.

my two cents icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 15
cakegrandma Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:06am
post #14 of 15

To me it is an "Either - Or " situation, Either you honor the contract and fulfill a brides wish (as you have a contract with her) Or you cancel and make a very unsatisfied client. Being unsatisfied she may say things about your service and canceling on her and you know how bad things travel quickly. I know you would love to see your cousin get married however, according to your post they have been engaged for quite a while and just sent out invitations for the wedding. No prior hints from anyone in the family that the nuptials were going to be coming up soon? icon_rolleyes.gif If you want to be a business honor the contract and perhaps you will not get to attend your cousins wedding ceremony but the reception. Everyone can have a good ending to their stories. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif That's my oipinion, for whatever it's worth and I am sure you will feel good inside knowing you did not leave the bride in a mell of a hess. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
evelyn

varika Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:29am
post #15 of 15

Make the cake you've been paid to do. You're going to have it done or mostly done the night before anyway, I would think. So call the hall or the bride and find out if you can deliver the cake earlier than originally scheduled. If they say yes, you can deliver the cake and still make your cousin's wedding. If not, you can deliver the cake and still make at least part of your cousin's reception.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%