Can I Cancel???

Decorating By BellaSweet Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 12:04am by JanH

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 5

Ok so I have two weddings coming up on September 19. Im doing a wedding cake for only one of them. At the time of the agreement and contract signing their was no problem. Well, about 2 days ago I get a family newsletter in the mail stating the my cousin is getting married. On the same day I agreed on the cake!!! Theyve been engaged for a while just havent sent out invites yet. If I had known the date of course I wouldnt be doing a cake for the other girl. But now that I know about my cousin's wedding, I don't want to miss it. Is it wrong to cancel on the cake/bride??? If I did, I would absolutely return her deposit. Or is this cake business suicide? Some please help me...

4 replies
chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 5

It's suicide. You made a commitment, you need to follow through. It sucks, for sure.

aliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 5

If you signed a contract, the bride can sue you. I would not take that chance.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 5

It's not good business practice. You accepted this cake order, and you need to see through with it. This is what it's all about when it comes to having a cake business. You miss out on a lot of things yourself, in order to make it work. You can't accept orders then back out whenever something comes up, unless it's an illness or a death in the family.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:04am
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%