Air Holes In My Ri...help Please!

Decorating By Melchas Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 6:01am by Homemade-Goodies

Melchas Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 5

I am making RI fkiwers fi ra wedding cake next weekend and have little ari bubbles in the RI when I pipe it out.
I made it yesterday afternoon and re- whiped it on low witha ahnd held mixer, could this have caused it? I have to re-mix it to make more tonight, do I mix longer, faster, slower? I'm so frusterated. icon_cry.gif

4 replies
Elise87 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:36am
post #2 of 5

Do you have a mixer that's not handheld? Because that is what i use to do my royal icing with a paddel attachment. Even if you don't either way i put mine on the minimum setting possible and let that beat for 10 mins and i don't seem to have lots of air bubbles that way.

To get rid of the ones you have, not sure about a whole heap of them but if you do get some just prick them and then stir gently in a figure 8 motion to smooth it out again. Sorry that's all the advice i can give

HTH icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 5

If the icing hasn't sat for a long period of time, days or a week, then if you just stir it really good with your spatula and it should be fine. The only time you really need to re-beat it is when it has sat long enough to separate.

cakenutz Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:48am
post #4 of 5

yes definitely. Whipping it causes air bubbles. If you have to use a hand mixer don't over beat when done cover it tightly with saran wrap pushed down to surface let sit awhile and then hand stir it.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:01am
post #5 of 5

I can only reiterate what the others have said...mixing with paddles is gentler and less likely to introduce air in the RI. Elise87's advice to rescue what you have now is really smart, I'd try that!!

Best of luck to you!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%