Is That ... An Amoeba?! Icing Disaster - Help!

Baking By Magical_Isis Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 10:11pm by cylstrial

Magical_Isis Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 2

I realize this thread is worthless without pics, but I can't stop laughing long enough to hold the camera still, so I promise I'll post a "hall of shame" photo later! icon_lol.gif

High hopes and fun planning led to naught...I was attempting a cool fireworks above a grassy knoll cookie with great, bright colors. The night sky was purty! Deep bluish black fading to a teal with wisps of deep violet...and beautifully shiny. Stars went on beautifully, the first set of fireworks seemed to but it all went south very quickly and I've ended up with piles of weird amoebic things! icon_confused.gif

I packed it in at 2:30 this morning hoping something would magically happen overnight, but it just got worse! The icing dried matte and icky...and much of the color variation vanished. I used RI with egg whites - did I beat it for too long? I haven't had many problems with RI in the past - and I've used it a lot - but I think it ended up a little on the spongy side for some reason...and I'm still having to learn that magical texture moment for the different tips, which went badly last night. Sigh. I live in central Texas with a nasty climate right now - could that impact the texture?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any input so I can at least have a better experiment next time! icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
cylstrial Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 2

Awww...sorry that it didn't turn out the way that you wanted it to. I don't use egg whites in my RI. I use Antonia74's RI (which uses Meringue powder). You should try it - it is wonderful. (You can always put a little clear vanilla flavoring in it if you need to).

Quote by @%username% on %date%