Purse Pricing Dilema

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 11:34pm by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 8

I know these questions are asked all the time but I've made one to surprise a friend tonight. There will be a lot of people there and I like to be prepared to make their eyeballs bug out of their heads icon_smile.gif.

I used 1- 11x15x2" cake and about 1/3 of 1- 8x2" square pan. I didn't have to carve off much and there are two filled tiers, making it about 8" tall. I covered it in fondant with details. Nothing fancy pretty simple. (didn't want to overwhelm myself on the 1st time and I'm not getting paid). I have said I my base price for carved cakes would be $5/serving. So, since this was a simple design would you go with just a fondant pricing or a sculpted pricing? And how many servings out of it? I was thinking about 35 servings- is that too many or not enough? Thanks for your input

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 8

Well, even though you didn't do a lot of carving, you did still scuplt it. So I would go with your sculpting price. You would just have to decide if if you want to keep it at the $5 price or if you want to raise the price as well.

I can't help with the servings. Don't forgete to post a pic!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 8

35-ish servings yes

(purse is maybe 4-5 inches thick at the bottom?)

$5 serving yes (at least)

sounds good to me

good basic pricing for easy sculpture

are you at $4 serving for fondant cake?

sculpture should be at least $1- $1.50 more than fondant base price yes?

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 8

I tell everyone that I base my price on design, shape, size and flavors. Even though some purses may be the same size there may be many different elements to each. I just feel this way I can estimate time and work for each cake. If someone wants an exact to the T same cake then you have to have a base price like your $5.00 for sculpting. HTH

dandelion56602 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:07am
post #5 of 8

Well, the cake was a hit. It was kinda funny b/c the lady didn't know I was making a cake. The hostess said let's tell her. So, she told her to turn around and take a look. She had seen it already & was looking all over the place, was told exactly where to look & then looked at me w/ huge eyes & said "is that a cake?" She thought the hostess' daughter bought a new purse & put in on the buffet. She was so grateful & everyone loved the new flavor I introduced them to (pink champagne w/ white chocolate mousse) & the fondant too! (butavan flavored mmf). This is when you LOVE making cakes!

It was about 5x10" at the bottom, 8" tall. $4 is base for fondant covered cake. Glad to know I'm in the right ballpark figure. I didn't get any requests, but it was a foot the right direction.

This is it http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1408787&done=1

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 8

Whooot whooot!! Awesome work!!!

QueenJessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenJessica Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 8

your picture is beautiful! Did you use wrapping paper over the cake board? It was a really nice choice of colors. icon_biggrin.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks. Yes, it was wrapping paper. I put my cakes on a board so there's no need for concern w/ food safety

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%