How Do I Make Straight Edges

Decorating By kathybenitez Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 1:02am by JanH

kathybenitez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathybenitez Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 12

Ok I am going crazy trying to make straight edges on cakes. How do you get straight edges and corners where a square cake looks square and not rounded on the edges and corners....? Please help

11 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 12

Very difficult to do unfortunately. I recommend investing in some Magic Line square pans, as they are the only ones that will give you true straight edges right out of the pan, and using ganache instead of BC under your fondant. Other than that, use two fondant smoothers at once, and gently push your corners together with both hands holding a fondant smoother. Get a sharp edge with the BC first, and refrigerate until it is FIRM before applying the fondant. And practice....and more practice.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 12

I find that most folks ice to the shape of the cake, rather than forming the icing into a sharp edge. If the corner is rounded or sloping, just build the icing up on that corner to square it off.

Here's a link to some tips on icing corners (with pics): http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5396443-.html#5396443

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 12

Ditto what Jamie said....and.....get Sugarshack's DVD, 'Flawless Fondant.' She covers that exact subject in tremendous detail, showing you how with her own hands/cake the whole time. You'll love the video, and it will answer all of your questions and many more! thumbs_up.gif

sweetjan Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 12

Ditto what Jamie said....and.....get Sugarshack's DVD, 'Flawless Fondant.' She covers that exact subject in tremendous detail, showing you how with her own hands/cake the whole time. You'll love the video, and it will answer all of your questions and many more! thumbs_up.gif

sweetjan Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 12

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 12

My very first wedding cake was a 4 tiers all square cake. Let me tell you no tips posted here is going to help you better than those sugarshack's videos.

I bought the buttercream and stacking video just for this wedding cake and check out my photos and see the results. Sharon's video is so detailed I cannot brag more.

I did mine the way she shows in the video, by building up the corners with icing and yes I spent over $100 in square pans.

They are worth it! Make sure you have no air bubbles in your icing, a straight edge bench scraper I bought William Sonoma Dough Cutter $8 and help get even sides and perfect corners!

I also used the paper towel and fondant smoother and copy paper for those perfect edges.

Good Luck. Foam rollers did not help me with square cakes.

sweetjan Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 12

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:02am
post #9 of 12

I did an all square cake this weekend, getting those corners is sooo much fun (NOT) I definately reccommend the magic line pans, those are the best for perfectly square corners, but again, it is the icing - not the cake that you are making square!

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:19am
post #10 of 12

Sugarshack DVD's, and practice. Sorry, that's the best advice I have, but that's what works.. thumbs_up.gif

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:21am
post #11 of 12

Sugarshack DVD's, and practice. Sorry, that's the best advice I have, but that's what works.. thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:02am
post #12 of 12

Indydebi's tutorial on straight corners on a square cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5396443-.html#5396443

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%