Ok Here's A Question For Ya...

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm by Doug

Misdawn Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 10

The standard size of a foam core board is 20" x 30", so what do you do when the cake you are making requires something larger? Just curious how everyone else handles this... icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Brownie1954 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 10

If you don't mind....I would like to know where to buy Foam Core Board?
TIA! Brownie

Doug Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 10

plywood or pressboard (aka masonite) or MDF (might be possible in some places to get HDF too) -- depending upon size and strength needed.

tho' I'd dread moving a cake needing to be made on a 4'x8' sheet of it!

Doug Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie1954

If you don't mind....I would like to know where to buy Foam Core Board?
TIA! Brownie

WalMart in craft/office supplies section

Dollar Tree

and all the craft stores: Michaels, A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby.

and good office supply or art supply store or place that does photo/picture matting & framing.

online -- the main art teacher resource: DickBlick.com

this is one of their pages -- feature over size sheets and up 1/2" thick.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/bienfang-foamboard/

indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 10

and make sure it can fit thru your door.

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 10

Hobby Lobby has much bigger foamboards. I didn't see the exact measurements but they were probably the size of 4 regular ones. I would think being that big would weaken it somewhat, so you might have to use a few.

GayeG Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

and make sure it can fit thru your door.

And your delivery vehicle!! O - that would SO NOT fit in mine!! :/

Misdawn Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 10

I have double french doors so the door thing really isnt a problem. And any cake larger than 2 ft x 3 ft I usually require the customer to arrange pick-up.

How much does the MDF and masonite usually cost? I'm just wondering how cost-effective it is to use that stuff as compared with the foam core...

tallgood Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 10

Foamcore can flex or break if loaded down too heavy. Hate to see you lose a cake!

Any cake bigger than 20 by 30-inches, I'd use MDF or plywood. MDF will weigh more than plywood, but has a smoother texture. That size you will want a thicker grade, so it won't flex as bad as the thinner would. Hate to see a large cake flex and crack.

Lowe's will cut the size you want, with maybe a cutting fee per cut. They sometimes have scraps sheets that you can get your cut from. Maybe you have a DH or friend with woodworking skills?

Might think about getting a larger sheet and have them cut different sizes you might need for later cakes. Plan it out on graph paper.

Good luck!

Doug Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

I have double french doors so the door thing really isnt a problem. And any cake larger than 2 ft x 3 ft I usually require the customer to arrange pick-up.

How much does the MDF and masonite usually cost? I'm just wondering how cost-effective it is to use that stuff as compared with the foam core...

near forever if you get it back -- can be reused over and over again.

just, insist on deposit equal to value of the board to insure getting it back..

--------

ps... MDF is very easy to shape the edges into decorative shapes with a router. It sands very easily and takes a finish really well too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%