My New Toy! My Agbay!!

Decorating By kansaslaura Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 6:21pm by Suzycakes

kansaslaura Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 24

*Takes Leah's hands and twirls in a circle*

I took the LONG overdue plunge and bought one after *listening* to Leah talk about hers.

WOW!! I've split my last cake with a #*U$Q*) serrated knife!

The lady on the phone at Agbay was so nice and polite--and HELPFUL!! I don't want to hear that it's too expensive, or whatever... it's an investment in fine cake decorating and presentation. I honestly felt it paid for itself the first time I used it. I had a 7 tier wedding cake that was all filled layers.

No one complained about my uneven attempts of splitting layers before, but would they? People *eat* with their eyes first and this thing makes it so darn beautiful!!

This thing is AWESOME!!

23 replies
bcake1960 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 24

Thanks kansaslaura for your post... I have been eyeing one of those... I think I am going to have to take the plunge as well.. an UN- level cake is one of my pet peeves.. and I certainly do not have a steady enough hand to use a knife. I use the Wilton large cake leveler but even with that I still cant seem to get it really level! I have only heard great things about the Agbay leveler.. I guess the price is what has been stopping me.. but if you have the right tools for the job.... the job is MUCH easier... which means less wasted time.... and TIME IS $ $ $ .. So... what am I waiting for..... I'm JUMPIN on it.. !

bcake1960 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 24

Thanks kansaslaura for your post... I have been eyeing one of those... I think I am going to have to take the plunge as well.. an UN- level cake is one of my pet peeves.. and I certainly do not have a steady enough hand to use a knife. I use the Wilton large cake leveler but even with that I still cant seem to get it really level! I have only heard great things about the Agbay leveler.. I guess the price is what has been stopping me.. but if you have the right tools for the job.... the job is MUCH easier... which means less wasted time.... and TIME IS $ $ $ .. So... what am I waiting for..... I'm JUMPIN on it.. !

shari22 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 24

Have lots of fun with it!! I will definitely NOT critize! Im glad you went for it, someday when i get the $$ I'll join you!! icon_lol.gif

leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 24

::dances with Laura::

It IS fabulous, isn't it? Totally worth the $, and I'm a noted tightwad.

kansaslaura Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 24

Oh Leah.. I'm a tightwad from way back--that's what kept me from treating myself to this in the first place. There is simply no excuse for lopsided or uneven layers when this tool is out there!

kkitchen Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 24

Wow ... congrats, Her name is Maureen -- she is a sweetheart. Her attitude made me feel compelled to buy one. I used it for the first time today and hubby was just as amazed as I was. I love it.
And, by the way, my cake was only about 3 hours out the oven and still cut it smoothly. I love my agbay....

kkitchen Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 24

Wow ... congrats, Her name is Maureen -- she is a sweetheart. Her attitude made me feel compelled to buy one. I used it for the first time today and hubby was just as amazed as I was. I love it.
And, by the way, my cake was only about 3 hours out the oven and still cut it smoothly. I love my agbay....

cavette Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 24

I have never heard of the product..... but I went to the web-site and I want one!I dont do many cakes but I'm doing my cousin wedding cake and I think it will come in handy for that for sure. her
wedding's in March 2010 so Merry Christmas from mom and step-dad or somebody if I cant get one before then! Thanks..... glad read this page!

sugarplumfairycanada Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:25pm
post #10 of 24

Hi,

Congrats - you'll never doubt this purchase ever. I bought mine last year and Maureen was the best. Shipping to Canada did not take long. What used to take hours to torte and end still end up unhappy with the results is no longer an issue because it just takes minutes for perfect and even torting.

cavette Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 24

I want one NOW!!!! =)

cakelady31 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 24

Happy 4th of July everyone!!! I just purchased one . It arrived about a week ago. I have to say it is the best thing !!!! I took a half sheet cake and split it TWICE! It came out beautiful and was so easy to use. LOVE it! and yes , i had to save a bit for it but is definately worth the $$. Maureen was a pleasure over the phone and shipped it fast. I had it in a matter of days. just in time for 3 filled sheet cakes.

Carol

psurrette Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:39pm
post #13 of 24

Maureen is the nicest person! She is a member of our ICES club in MA. You will love this product! I cant amagine using anything else! A word to the wise IT IS VERY SHARP! I have cut myself several times with it and once it looked like I tried to slit my wrist. Another time I cut my finger but underneath my fingernail. This is well worth the money!

cakelady31 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:40pm
post #14 of 24

Happy 4th of July everyone!!! I just purchased one . It arrived about a week ago. I have to say it is the best thing !!!! I took a half sheet cake and split it TWICE! It came out beautiful and was so easy to use. LOVE it! and yes , i had to save a bit for it but is definately worth the $$. Maureen was a pleasure over the phone and shipped it fast. I had it in a matter of days. just in time for 3 filled sheet cakes.

Carol

leigh220 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:28pm
post #15 of 24

I have to agree, the Agbay is the best. I started doing cakes in Feb. and bought this last month and can't believe I did without for those few months! So worth the money, I love to decorate but hated the cutting and leveling. It makes the job go by so much faster. And Maureen is such a nice lady.

leigh220 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:29pm
post #16 of 24

I have to agree, the Agbay is the best. I started doing cakes in Feb. and bought this last month and can't believe I did without for those few months! So worth the money, I love to decorate but hated the cutting and leveling. It makes the job go by so much faster. And Maureen is such a nice lady.

cavette Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm
post #17 of 24

Which one should i purchase or should I say is the better buy....... the single blade or the double blade?

chefjulie Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:38pm
post #18 of 24

Well, now the single is upgradeable (is that even a word?) so if you cant justify the double blade right now, the single blade is the way to go. I have a double, and it is fabulous!

I LOVE mine! I seriously would rather be without my KA than my Agbay. Without a doubt the best purchase I made. The only thing I dont like is how LONG it took me to get one. I kept thinking it couldnt really be all *that* great. Boy, was I wrong!!

kansaslaura Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:32am
post #19 of 24

I purchased the single since it can be upgraded, besides that I think the single will serve me just fine.

Leah.. what do you have?

cavette Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:42am
post #20 of 24

What is the difference if anyone is willing to share?

kansaslaura Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:47am
post #21 of 24

The single has one blade, the double, two. With the double you can make 2 cuts at one time.

cavette Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:08am
post #22 of 24

Thanks.....

Lee15 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:05pm
post #23 of 24

I bought one earlier in the year after reading about it here on CC. Maureen was a sweetheart - I needed it for the weekend and she was just about to send out that day's shipment. She got it in the mail to me immediately and I had it in 2 days.

Love it - don't know how I survived without it. Have to warn though - it is sharp. You tend to forget and on July 4th, I was torting a cake and talking to someone at the same time. You guessed it - nice cut on my finger.

Suzycakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:21pm
post #24 of 24

UGHH - I hate these double posts!!! Will they ever end????!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%