4Th Of July Red

Decorating By Barb00 Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 3:22pm by CookieD-oh

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 8

Help! I cannot get a true red from my Wilton no taste red color. Do I have to keep adding color or do I add something else to deepen? I am tring to decorate with fondant now and the color just isn't red-red. icon_cry.gif

7 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 8

True red is really hard to get, so is true black. You may just have to keep adding color until you get the shade you want. I usually buy Satin Ice for my red and black.

Sorry I didn't have better news.

Happy 4th!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 8

Next time mix the color it a day ahead. The color will 'ripen' overnight. Still not a true red, but closer.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:17pm
post #4 of 8

To get "Red", I open up every red I own: holiday red, Christmas Red, Chinese Red, tulip red....(you get the picture) and I can get what I want. If you see my photos, you'll see the red fondant in my muliple's birthday cake (and frostings - see Piston's basketball).

Just a note, when I do dark colors - like red or black, I do add a bit of corn syrup because they can get bitter or have an "after taste."

Good Luck and happy 4th of July! icon_smile.gif

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbeesbaking

To get "Red", I open up every red I own: holiday red, Christmas Red, Chinese Red, tulip red....(you get the picture) and I can get what I want. If you see my photos, you'll see the red fondant in my muliple's birthday cake (and frostings - see Piston's basketball)...

Amen to that! icon_lol.gif For my 4th of July cookies, I used Americolor Holiday Red, Cake Craft Christmas Red, and Wilton Spiderman Red. I did the same for the fondant in my 4th of July cake, but I don't have pictures of that yet.

Barb00 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the replies. I thought about this last night, but ran out of time. I added a lot of red, maybe it will darken as the day goes on! I only had red (no taste) and burgundy and was afraid of the burgundy. I will have to get some Americolor. Are those better?

Barb00 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the replies. I thought about this last night, but ran out of time. I added a lot of red, maybe it will darken as the day goes on! I only had red (no taste) and burgundy and was afraid of the burgundy. I will have to get some Americolor. Are those better?

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 8

I like Americolor best. Their super black is fantastic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%