Cake Camp

Decorating By ATCakes Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 7:15pm by bisbqueenb

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:14am
post #1 of 43

Who all is going to Cake Camp this year?? I just registered on Tuesday and am still trying to decide on some more classes.

42 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:21am
post #2 of 43

what the heck is cake camp

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:46am
post #3 of 43

AT Cakes,

Is this the cake camp from Yummy Arts?

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 43

you can read all about it here: http://www.cakecamp.com/

I'm all signed up....have 2 all day gumpaste floral classes with Nicholas Lodge, Figure modeling with Ruth Richie, Figures with Norm Davis and Zane Beg. I have hotel reservations starting Wed nite thru Sunday nite so I can have some non-scheduled time as well.....just have to have the Seafood Buffet at the Rio....and have several other choice spots picked out to choose from!

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:31am
post #5 of 43

Yes. It is the one put on by the California Cake Club. I am still trying to fill out my schedule. I want to take the Chocolate Decor class with James Roselle and Marina Sousa but it is so expensive. I am going to add Kathy Scotts edible jewels class which was just added.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

you can read all about it here: http://www.cakecamp.com/

I'm all signed up....have 2 all day gumpaste floral classes with Nicholas Lodge, Figure modeling with Ruth Richie, Figures with Norm Davis and Zane Beg. I have hotel reservations starting Wed nite thru Sunday nite so I can have some non-scheduled time as well.....just have to have the Seafood Buffet at the Rio....and have several other choice spots picked out to choose from!

bisbqueenb, I am registered for Nick's Roses and Bridal Flowers classes. I'm guessing those are the two you are taking??? I'm also taking B. Keith Ryder's painting gumpaste on Saturday night and Collette Peters' Fantasy Flowers on Sunday morning. I'll be there until Monday morning, so I'll have some free time as well.

Now if I can just get Continental to take me off hold and answer the phone. I was doing my reservations on line and it timed out during the final confirmation. I already have a token charge on my account, so I'm not about to submit it all again .... icon_cry.gif

I am thrilled to be going to Cake Camp. I've been trying to talk myself into spending the money since the '09 information was posted. Bridal Flowers filled up and I decided I wasn't supposed to go. Suddenly there was one spot open today, so I decided I liked today's "sign" better than last week's and I jumped on it!

I would love to meet as many CC'ers as I can. Maybe we can figure something out ...

bisbqueenb Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 43

I'm registered for both of Nick's all day classes on Friday and Saturday! I signed up early just to be sure I was able to get into his classes! I'm close enough to drive to Vegas. with a stopover in Phoenix to visit with DS so it won't be such a long drive.

I agree...the CC'rs need to get together and get acquainted and put faces to screen names! Not to mention getting to share ideas about what we learn. There are soooo many great classes and soooo little time! With 2 all day classes, I wasn't able to sign up for a lot of 'different' things, but I'm really happy to be concentrating on flowers and figures!

Anybody else sighed up for Nick's 2 all day classes? Glad to see I will have CC company there Martha! [btw I'm planning to make a button with my avatar to wear at Camp... the one with the 1930 cake decorator...so you all look for it!

Diane

ilsescully Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilsescully Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:20am
post #8 of 43

I'll be therE and I'm excited about painting on sugar ( two classes with Ruth) cake design,& cookie bouquets. The airline changed my flight so i have to figure out how to drop the class I paid for. Would anyone like to meet up, maybe at the banquet they've charged an arm and a leg for?

mbt4955 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:36am
post #9 of 43

I'll be there by myself and I would love to have someone to sit with at the banquet. thumbs_up.gif

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:11pm
post #10 of 43

I am going. My first time at anything like this. So am a little nervous. I am bringing a friend with me, since neither of us have been to Vegas and my hubby cant go. We will be at the banquet too. She is not a caker, but does love the craft. I am still trying to figure out how to take all my decorating supplies on board with out getting "that look" LOL> I can put them in my checked baggage thank good ness! LOL. I look forward to seeing everyone there and the classes will be so fun.
Kathy

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:41am
post #11 of 43

After ICES-

I think we are so excited to attend cake camp-just abou 6 more weeks!

My husband and I will be staying near Nellis AFB. He will be playing golf on the base while I have fun and cake camp with my nellis aFB cake friend

I signed up for

Friday - 9-12 Chocolate class-Roselle
12:45 - 2:45 Bold Cookies - with Davis/Beg

In the afternoon we plan to sightsee and and visit the strip
Friday evening we are going to watch a 7:30 p.m. Cirque du Soleil
show "o".

Saturday
8-1 bows/drapes with Peters

2-5 mini cakes with Brown

Saturday evening we will be having dinner with our friends and see the blue man group

I'll try to sell my banquet ticket-cheaper than the going rate. I will have to check with cake camp staff if is ok. If not I will donate my ticket.

We had 4 ices banquet tickets. We gave them to a lady with a one day pass- she was happy.

Sunday -

8-1 babshower cake with lodge

1-2 creative Cajuns

Sunday we plan to visit the fremont area of Las vegas

Sunday night catch a red eye flight to NY.

We are looking forward to having fun and try our luck.

Stacie

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #12 of 43

I am going too. I am taking a cookie class, purse class and a topsy turvy class. This is a first for me as well. My hubby is going too, even taking one of the classes with me. We are meeting some relatives there to have some fun too.

I read somewhere that I thought we were supposed to get e-mails confirming if the classes we signed up for are still a go. Does anyone know about this?

Melissa

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:13am
post #13 of 43

icon_biggrin.gif Im Going tooo Im so excited I am flying from Colorado I signed up and 3 of the classes I wanted were gone but several more that I wanted were still avail...I am doing a lot of Baby showers so Im taking the baby shower course and I am taking a class With Zane and norman from cake challenge. I wanted the all day Collette Peters class Perfect wedding cakes
but it sold out quick ...but I got a lot of classes I LOVVVVVE I cant wait! icon_biggrin.gif

lisalamadrid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisalamadrid Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:32pm
post #14 of 43

I am going will fly in Thur afternoon with a return for Mon.

I am taking; Date

Elegant Cake Toppers Fri
Diamonds and Pearls Fri
Bows and Drapery Sat
Sugar Beads Sat
Painted Gumpaste Flowers Sat
Moldeling Woodland Animals Sun
Bling Bling Edible Gems Sun
Easy Cake Painting Fall Leaves Sun

And I am taking Tue off from work just to recoup..
I look forward to meeting everyone from cake central, but I am also a member of yummy arts, so I will be hanging out with those gals too.
Lisa Gil icon_biggrin.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:38am
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

I'll be there by myself and I would love to have someone to sit with at the banquet. thumbs_up.gif

I'm going too and also sadly do not have anyone to sit with at the banquet. icon_sad.gif I vote for a CC table. Anyone else up for it?
Did you see in the Ca. cake club news letter, they are going to be doing a cake challenge during the banquet. You can volonteer to be an assistant. It least should be fun to watch.

kathy164 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:45am
post #16 of 43

A CC table sounds great. Perhaps we can wear something to identify as a CCer?? Like a certain color name tag, or certain color MardiGras Type beads? Just a thought. Looking forward to this whole thing. and WoW, is it getting close!

mbt4955 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:46am
post #17 of 43

I'm throwing my name in for a seat at the CC table. I think the challenge should be a lot of fun to watch!

lisalamadrid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisalamadrid Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 11:40am
post #18 of 43

I have learned from this past year, that anything to do with cake whether it is an ICES chapter meeting, DOS, ICES Annual, or Cake Camp, leave the husband at home if he is not beside you in the kitchen helping you bake and decorating.

I have so much more fun when I make these events a get together with my cake buddies all by myself.

Don't mean to hurt anyones feelings, but fun is fun, and it is a drag to have someone ask or give you the look of "is it time to go yet"?

Lisa G

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:47pm
post #19 of 43

I'm so glad to see others are up for a cc table. My internet has been out and this is the first thing I checked when I got back online. Now we just have to come up with a way to find each other. Any good ideas?

bisbqueenb Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:58pm
post #20 of 43

I'm also interested in getting together at a table for the dinner as I am going all by myself....sort of....my son will be driving up for a 2 nite stay with his boys so we will have some family time.....but not for the DINNER! That is where I want to meet some of the CC members!

I have made myself a button with my avatar....so look for me! I'm Bisb Queen B and I'm headed to Vegas! And I'll have my button on everyday...so if you see me just hail me and say hey! Hope we even end up with CC'ers in some of the same classes...I think some are in my Nic Lodge class!
LL

kathy164 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:23pm
post #21 of 43

I love your button idea. I dont have a way to make a button, so will have to come up with something creative to identify us as CCers. Its getting close now. I still cant believe I'm going to Vegas! LOL
Kathy

mbt4955 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:42am
post #22 of 43

I don't have any way to make a button either, but I will be by myself the whole time. I'm in Nicholas Lodge's Friday and Saturday classes, B. Keith Ryder on Saturday night and Colette Peters on Sunday morning.

I would definitely like to meet some people to hang out with so hopefully we can figure something out. I have a cell phone number for Apryle who lives close enough to drive and I know one lady who will be working one of the vendor booths. Other than that ... I'm on my own. I will be arriving late Thursday afternoon and flying out on Monday morning.

I'm VERY excited!! icon_biggrin.gif

bisbqueenb Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:05am
post #23 of 43

I've got the same classes with Nic! so now there is a start for a table! heheheh any one else in these classes?

Maybe they have a bulletin board in the registration area where we can leave notes about which classes we have? I have seen that done at other 'gatherings' and it is helpful in locating new and old friends! I would not recommend posting room numbers or phone numbers on any kind of message board, but just classes etc. just for safety sake.

bisbqueenb Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:08am
post #24 of 43

[quote="kathy164"]I love your button idea. I dont have a way to make a button.......

Anyone can make a small paper pin on to wear....doesn't have to be a button! If we all use our avatars and screen names and something about CC I think we will recognize each other!

kathy164 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:07pm
post #25 of 43

Great idea!! Yes, I think we can come up with something and it could really be anything fun cause remember the banquet is also a costume contest, we are to dress like something to with "sugar art theme" so that could get interesting.

mbt4955 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:29pm
post #26 of 43

I didn't know about the costume part ...... party.gif

kathy164 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:37pm
post #27 of 43

yes, it will be fun, it is not mandatory, its just if you want to. It was listed in the last newsletter from CCC. Lots of info in that one. It will be a great time for everyone. They are having a little "cake Challenge" too. They have some students paired up with instructors and will decorate a cake during the banquet. The costume can earn you prizes. It doesnt specify what the prizes are but anything will be great.!! so looking forward to the cake camp.

mbt4955 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #28 of 43

My CCC membership hasn't been active long enough for me to get a newsletter. Thanks for the update - I'll see if I can think of something to wear ...

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:19pm
post #29 of 43

Ooohhh I'm so envious of all you going to Vegas. I've just had a look at the classes and they all sound very interesting.

Does anyone know if this is only for professionals or can amateurs like myself come? If so, then I'll start saving now for next year (I have to count in a flight from Denmark which is quite expensive icon_cry.gif )

I hope you all have a very good time, enjoy yourselves and please let us know how everything went icon_biggrin.gif

mbt4955 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:44pm
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomfise

Ooohhh I'm so envious of all you going to Vegas. I've just had a look at the classes and they all sound very interesting.

Does anyone know if this is only for professionals or can amateurs like myself come? If so, then I'll start saving now for next year (I have to count in a flight from Denmark which is quite expensive icon_cry.gif )

I hope you all have a very good time, enjoy yourselves and please let us know how everything went icon_biggrin.gif

I'm definitely an amateur! I don't think they are having Cake Camp next year because ICES is being held in CA, but that will give you an extra year to save. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%