Anyone Every Used Spray Food Lacquer To Greaseproof Ribbon?

Decorating By DreamCakesOnline Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 6:18am by miny

DreamCakesOnline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamCakesOnline Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:30am
post #1 of 17

A few of us are still trying to find a fast easy way to greaseproof satin ribbon. Has anyone ever tried using the spray lacquer that you use to seal sugar work from humidity to spray the back of ribbon and see if it seals it off effectively? I had a catastrophe today with light yellow on navy blue that just looked horrible by the time it was done soaking up the buttercream oils. The lacquer is so expensive that I was hoping someone had tried it or had some and would experiment for us to see if it would work...

Thanks for all you do!! I learn something new every day!

16 replies
miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:42am
post #2 of 17

No, but this info is as valuable as that spray, hope someone has the answer for us.

DreamCakesOnline Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 17

Was late last night.... Just bumping...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 17

Too expensive to experiment with! But honestly, you should be using fondant ribbon anyway.

DreamCakesOnline Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 17

I seem to get a lot of people who bring me the ribbon they want...

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 17

Ive never tried it but from my experience using it on gumpaste and fondant, it leaves a yellowish residue that is pretty thick and sometimes it gets drip marks.
Have you tried using scotch tape on the pack of it or the iron/wax paper method? I used the scotch tape method for the first time the other day. The only problem I had was that the tape caused the ribbon not to stick to the cake.
But their has to be something else out there that would work better than that! I was just thinking of maybe taking one of those clear report covers thingys that you get in the office supply stores, and cutting it to the thickness of the the ribbon and glueing it down with some of the scrapbooking adhesive or something.

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 17

I read somewhere ( for the life of me I don't remember where) that if you put two layers of ribbon on the cake, that the first one will absorb the oil and the second will remain greasefree, but boy have I gotten lots of mixed info on this...Like you, DreamCakesOnline, I get lots of people who want real ribbon that they pick out to match their wedding stuff on their cake...Ideas anyone??

panipuri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panipuri Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 17

I iron the ribbon between sheets of wax paper - havent yet had a problem. I make sure and put the ribbon on at the very latest that I can, as an added precaution. I also make sure and let the brides know that the ribbon may stain etc - if they choose to bring me their ribbon.
I try and persuade them to use a poly satin ribbon that is waterproof ( I get it online) , and this ribbon is greaseproof too. But you dont get all colors .

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 17

Happy 4th everyone.

Has anyone tried using the acetate strips behind the ribbon?

Jo

DreamCakesOnline Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 17

O.K. I've done some on-line research into food-grade spray waxes and I've sent out a couple of inquiries to manufacturers. I'm thinking we can all use a can of spray that grease-proofs anything we might want to use. If they can spray apples and wax paper, surely we can get something for us to use....

weirkd Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:06pm
post #11 of 17

Thats a good idea! Let us know, you might be on to something there!
The acetate might work also. Ive tried the double ribbon thing and still had some staining and problems with the ribbon sliding on each other.

miny Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:24am
post #12 of 17

I've never done this, it just ocurred to me that maybe we could encased the ribbon in contact paper, I mean, it's grease proofed, very thin and easy to work (at least on paper) do you think it may work?
Just my two cents usaribbon.gif

weirkd Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:58pm
post #13 of 17

Not sure. Ive never used contact paper I dont think. Is that the stuff you put on your shelves that sticks?

DreamCakesOnline Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 17

I read somewhere else in the forum that some people use the contact paper and stick the ribbon to it and cut the paper to fit the back so it protects the ribbon.

miny Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 11:56pm
post #15 of 17

Well, I was thinking on putting on both sides of the ribbon but come to think of it, one side may work better that way the actual ribbon gets exposed on the cake, I'm gonna have to try it.
Yes weirkd, but there is this clear kind, very thin, almost like ceran wrap but sticky on one side, I used it to cover my flower templates on my Wilton classes then I cut them and used them on my nails with a dot of BC to hold them together then I just wiped them clean icon_wink.gif

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:08am
post #16 of 17

I actually wrap my boards in freezer paper, don't know why I didn't think of it before. Attach the ribbon to the paper side then put the plastic side next to the cake, we know its food safe.

Jo

miny Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:18am
post #17 of 17

See? This is why I love CC, we get the juices flowing and we actually get something really good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%