Fda Globalization Act 2009 - Anyone Else Hear About This???

Business By CookieMakinMomma Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 10:38pm by Deb_

CookieMakinMomma Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:40am
post #1 of 10

Hey all. I just learned about this new bill that is going around, anyone else hear about it? I did a quick search but didn't see any discussion on here referring to it. Apparently it could hit the whole food industry, but be especially damaging to home bakers. Any opinions?

(PS, I apologize in advance if I multi-post. I've been trying to avoid posting altogether because of the dang CC stutter but this sounded like a big deal.)

9 replies
CookieMakinMomma Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:53am
post #2 of 10

ok, I guess the links on the page I linked to don't all work. I found a website specifically for the bill here:

I still have to do some reading myself, so forgive me if I am crying wolf...

EDIT: Ok, it seems most of the aforementioned site focuses on the beauty products end of the bill. I'll have to keep looking to find something specifically food related. In the meantime, here is a link to the actual proposed bill (although I can't tell how current this draft is). Be forewarned, this sucker is 136 pages long! of course... icon_rolleyes.gif

EDIT2: Ok, I know nobody is on tonight (good for you all for having lives!) but I felt guilty for posting this without doing much research. Well, the more I look the worse it gets. Thankfully the bill is still in "draft" mode, but apparently it will have far reaching effects, covering everything from food production to cosmetics to farming. It is apparently in reaction to all the daggum salmonella scares and food recalls going on lately, but this bill doesn't sound like it will do anything positive to help. I really recommend you do some googling yourself to see what this is. There seems to be quite an uproar among small cosmetic businesses and the small farm industry as the bill will deeply affect any business not able to keep up with the same requirements of the big corporations. One more link for ya:

I really can't find anything from the perspective of small food businesses, even among blogs, and I find that a bit worrysome. It's pretty clear to me that this will affect small time bakers like us, and we need to make sure that we are not overlooked. Sorry to get all political and preachy, but if we don't stand up for ourselves, who will? I'm not asking for activism, I just want everyone to be informed.

So now you know,
and knowing is half the battle...

cylstrial Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for posting the links. I hadn't heard anything about this at all.

indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 10

Sounds like NAFTA.

When I worked in corporate America, I was the NAFTA go-to person at two of those places. I had to keep a detailed and complete file on every piece of material that was used in the manufacturing process, where it came from, and where THAT supplier got it from. I also then had to create the NAFTA certificate to document all of this. (Geesh, talk about a crash course in government-speak!)

It's freakin' nuts.

Deb_ Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 10

I already have to do these things mentioned in MA i.e. ingredients used, labeling etc. If I change or add a recipe it needs to be approved before I can begin selling it.

I'm all for food and public safety as long as everyone is playing on the same level. What's good for us here in MA should be good for all states.

Yes, the paperwork is a pain, but I feel fortunate to be allowed to sell to the public legally. So I'll do whatever they want me to do.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 10

This is H.R. 875. Please read the bill, not even all of it. In less than five minutes you will see that this is a bill designed to tighten controls over large food processing plants that hold a lot of food in storage or prepare food in large scale quantities, ie. tainted beef, messed up peanut butter, or buying tainted grain supplies from china. If you buy your flour by the train-car load, this may affect you.

The following is from the bill. Sorry, it looks long, but be informed. Pay close attention to exclusions to see who will be affected:

(12) FOOD- The term food means a product intended to be used for food or drink for a human or an animal and components thereof.

(A) IN GENERAL- The term food establishment means a slaughterhouse (except those regulated under the Federal Meat Inspection Act or the Poultry Products Inspection Act), factory, warehouse, or facility owned or operated by a person located in any State that processes food or a facility that holds, stores, or transports food or food ingredients.

(B) EXCLUSIONS- For the purposes of registration, the term food establishment does not include a food production facility as defined in paragraph (14), restaurant, other retail food establishment, nonprofit food establishment in which food is prepared for or served directly to the consumer, or fishing vessel (other than a fishing vessel engaged in processing, as that term is defined in section 123.3 of title 21, Code of Federal Regulations).

(14) FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITY- The term food production facility means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation.

CookieMakinMomma Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 10

matthewkyrankelly- actually there are several bills floating around affecting the same industries. the one I was reading the most about was HR 759.

dkelly- I agree that everyone should just be on the same level, but what if they decide we should all be on Texas' level? Just as you feel lucky to not have TX regulations in MA, I feel very lucky to not have MA rules in OH. Should my freedoms be sacrificed for the sake of an even playing field? Or should our goal be fewer (or just more effective) regulations for all? I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers, and if I do I apologize. I just don't think the term "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" applies when the people deciding what's best for us are... shall we say... less than reliable? icon_smile.gif

Oh yeah, and please tell me there's someone out there that recognized my little quote. It's from the old GI Joe cartoon. I picked it up from my husband and I'll feel really dumb if I'm the only one who knows that...

matthewkyrankelly Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:41pm
post #8 of 10

I'm sorry, if there's something more nefarious, I'm active. I just followed one of your links to the actual bill. I'll check out H.R. 759

CookieMakinMomma Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 10

sorry to be confusing. long after posting i realized i should have specified, and I just realized the link i offered to the actual bill doesn't even say on top. my bad. hey, maybe we'll get lucky and find there really isn't anything to worry about! In which case I would feel like a total dope....

Deb_ Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 10

No worries my feathers aren't ruffled icon_lol.gif

I'm glad there are regulations in place because I'm not always the one providing the baked goods, a lot of times I'm the consumer.

I don't consider these laws a compromise to my freedom at all.....they're there to protect us all. Enforcing these laws and regulations seems to be the real problem, hence the peanut factory.

Quote by @%username% on %date%