Turning This Beautiful Animal Into Cake (Sorta Long)

Decorating By catin Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 8:21am by Elise87

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 14

Can someone tell me how I can start ? I have a vision , I would love to reform into cake .

My MIL is an elephant collector and I picked up a simular figurine for her for her birthday , but I'm also in charge of making the cake . So I figured that she would love having this as her Birthday Cake (which is a total surprise). the Party is not til mid August ... but as an organized person I like to prepare a head of time and schedule out the time frame .

All Im looking for is instrutions on how . I would like to cover it in Fondant as well .

Any advise would be helpful ...

Thanks again ... sorry for this to be so long!!

Julie aka Catin
LL

13 replies
catin Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:08am
post #2 of 14

bumping my own post ...LOL!!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:13am
post #3 of 14

Could you use the doll skirt (Wonder Mold) for the body and maybe an egg pan for the head?

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:14am
post #4 of 14

I would make the body cake and carve it then the head rkt and the trunk styrofoam. As far as details are concerned im bumping this...I would like to know myself haha

Good luck girl

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #5 of 14

If the head is too heavy in cake, you could do it in RKT. The trunk would probably work out better in RKT anyway.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:19am
post #6 of 14

Since you are doing it in fondant, you can mix fondant with gumpaste to get the ears to stand out from the head. This is going to be so cute - can't wait to see it! Hypnotiq - I didn't even think about styrofoam for the trunk - I'm still too new to all of this.

catin Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you all for your quick response . I will give it a go with the doll pan (wonder mold) and see what I get . Pratice before the end result ..hehe

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 14

Would you consider making a gumpaste model of the elephant as a topper for the cake? That might be easier.

catin Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 14

Kylekaitlyn , I considered that thought ...but in the end I have been waiting a long time to make a 3D animal cake and I thought this would be a great opportunity .

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:27pm
post #10 of 14

The thing I love about animal 3D cakes is that usually they are not expected to be smooth, so its easy to piece the fondant together and then join with wrinkles or "fur" or whatever. Fun stuff!

I'd probably make an internal stand for the head...a 1" dowel attached to a wooden base board...then a small wooden circle to support most of the head...then to that circle I would try to attach some sort of bendable metal or ? (I'm not good with construction but I do 3D cakes often) to support the trunk. It would take some measurements to make sure the trunk support was placed where you want it. Then you can just build RKT around the support for the trunk and not worry about it falling off.

Good luck! Fun stuff.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 14

I don't have any ideas to offer, since I haven't really done anything 3D except for a car that I'd rather forget. anywho, I can't wait to see how this one turns out. I love the figurine! It's so adorable. Good luck!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 14

Check out slopokesgirl's post here regarding her Pepe LePew cake. Looks like that might be the way to go.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-623004.html

catin Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 14

Thank you 7yyrt
I checked it out and I also put in my watched selection . I will definitely keep that method in mind .

Thank you again !!!! icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:21am
post #14 of 14

sorry i am not really helping here but just wanted to say that the elephant figurine is just so so sweet icon_smile.gif that's all lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%