Using The Cricut With Gum Paste

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm by cloetzu

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:30pm
post #511 of 596

Ok, I am seriously getting so frustrated! I've tried over and over again and the same thing is happening EVERYTIME, no matter what material I use. It cuts clean on the bottom that's touching the mat but the top of it has drag marks and a jagged edge to it. I am using the deep blade and housing on 6, med pressure, slow speed and I've tried greasing the top of the modeling chocolate/gumpaste/fondant and blade and not greasing it and EVERY time it comes out the same way. I've tried various thickness as well. And I've tried both letting it dry and not dry.SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't have the DVD but after reading through all the posts people who invested in the DVD runs into the same problem. So I am hesitant on buying it. The only advantage I see to purchasing the DVD is being able to contact Linda after the fact (if I am still having the problem) and asking her to help. Is there anyone generous enough to give me some pointers?? I've tried everything that is listed on this post!

juniecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juniecakes Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:41pm
post #512 of 596

Starky thanks for the tip. Can you believe I bought the dvd before I bought a Cricut lol. Just wanted to make sure before I made that big investment. I watched the dvd last night loved it!!! I bought a Cricut this morning on ebay.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:47pm
post #513 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by careylynn

Ok, I am seriously getting so frustrated! I've tried over and over again and the same thing is happening EVERYTIME, no matter what material I use. It cuts clean on the bottom that's touching the mat but the top of it has drag marks and a jagged edge to it. I am using the deep blade and housing on 6, med pressure, slow speed and I've tried greasing the top of the modeling chocolate/gumpaste/fondant and blade and not greasing it and EVERY time it comes out the same way. I've tried various thickness as well. And I've tried both letting it dry and not dry.SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't have the DVD but after reading through all the posts people who invested in the DVD runs into the same problem. So I am hesitant on buying it. The only advantage I see to purchasing the DVD is being able to contact Linda after the fact (if I am still having the problem) and asking her to help. Is there anyone generous enough to give me some pointers?? I've tried everything that is listed on this post!

Are you using fondant, gumpaste or modeling chocolate? How thin are you rolling it (using a pasta roller)? Are you cleaning your blade after cut.

careylynn Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:35pm
post #514 of 596

I have tried all three. I am rolling it about dime thickness but by hand, not with a pasta maker. Yes, I am cleaning the blade after each cut and have even tried greasing the blade. UGHHH, i want to pull my hair out!!! icon_sad.gif

tiggy2 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:38pm
post #515 of 596

What brand of fondant/gumpaste are you using and are you adding tylose to the fondant? Some brands just don't work as they are too soft.

careylynn Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:47pm
post #516 of 596

I have used my marshmallow fondant (Rhonda's ultimate) and used the powdered gumpaste by wilton (the one where you add water). I haven't tried adding tylose yet. That is my next step, I have to order it online somewhere because no store around here carries it.

tiggy2 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:03pm
post #517 of 596

MMF may be the root of your problem as well as the powdered gumpaste you are using. I don't remember the brand Linda uses in the DVD and I'm at work so I can't look. Maybe someone else will chim in with brands they are using.

careylynn Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:08pm
post #518 of 596

Thanks so much tiggy2! I just remembered I have some left over satin ice fondant and I'm going to give it a try.

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:48pm
post #519 of 596

The trick with the jagged edge is to figure out when your GP is just right to cut. Some of it has to do and can be fixed with adjusting the amount of CMC/Tylose (we get ours from CalJava) and shortening you are using.
The first few times we found the sweet spot when you get the best results by rolling a sheet and cutting a circle every 60 seconds - about 20 circles later you will find the time frame when you get the best results (when its drying, but not too dry). Once you have done it enough times, you can tell just by looking at it.

We tried the Satin Ice gumpaste and found it works best when you add just a bit of Vegetable Gum. Just FYI.

Hope this helps - I am Jennifer Atwood's technical guy for the Cricut and we do Cricut training together, so she asked me to respond to this.

Tobias Wilhelm
Atwood's Bakery

careylynn Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 7:07pm
post #520 of 596

Thank you Tobias!
Tiggy2, I just used my satin ice fondant that has been sitting around for a month now and IT WORKED PERFECTLY icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
Now, I question if it was because it was OLD fondant or the brand?? I have seen more people use gumpaste and/or fondant with tylose, what are the advantages of those vs. straight fondant? Anyone know?
I AM SO HAPPY I GOT IT TO WORK!!!! Now, the trick is to repeat it icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 7:19pm
post #521 of 596

Tylose makes it firmer and it dries faster. Satin ice may not be as soft as MMF so it doesn't tear as easily. IMO MMF isn't worth the aggrivation of not having a consistent product.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 7:49pm
post #522 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieTs

WTH! am I doing wrong? I have the Cricut Expression, I watched Linda's DVD & even used my darn pasta machine & I cant get this Cricut to do what I want it to do. Ok I must say I didn't have the deep cutting blade at first so I figured that was the problem, but I have that now too & it was still a mess. I almost bounced that very expensive machine off my kitchen walls icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif I'm so frustrated. I cant get it right. I'm gonna go buy some tylose tonight & mix it with my fondant & not use my gumpaste & see how that works. Help me please someone, I'm still making flex payments on this machine and hating I bought it now. How dry does the gumpaste or fondant need to be before you try to cut on it? and how thin should it be? I feel like such a loser when I see everyone else's cricut work and is anyone else having problems using it? Thanks for any help.

Not to sound repetitive, or to give a general answer to your questions/frustration...but you REALLY should read thru ALL of the posts in this thread and the other Cricut threads. It took me 3 full days of sheer frustration, and I was ready to pull my hair out...then...it worked! I posted very detailed information about the settings I use, fondant thickness, drying time, etc. All you need to know is posted in these threads. Keep at it...you'll be so glad you did!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:20pm
post #523 of 596

I read that provo-craft will be coming out with a pre-made gumpaist sheet that will fit in the new cake cricut machine. bet it would work in the other cricuts too. also, has anyone used the edible image sheets in the cricut?

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm
post #524 of 596

Melody,
Yes, you can use edible image sheets.We will be using them along with gumpaste on the Ultimate Cake Off on March 15th. Not that you have to but it is best to switch back to the original blade. If you have Linda's DVD she covers the topic.

melodyscakes Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm
post #525 of 596

How do I contact Linda McClane to ask her a couple of questions? does she work for or own the cricut company? I'd like to know when the new cricut cake is coming out. I've seen the video and it is awesome!!! google it cricut cake
it is very cool! and expensive!

melodyscakes Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:54pm
post #526 of 596

okay, someone just informed my in another forum that you could pre-order the cricut cake machine through cutncrop and there is a $50.00 discount, then if you put "cake" in the promo line, you get $50.00 more dollars off!!! making this machine cost around $300.00 for machine and shipping.
it is $400.00 on the cricut site.

I'm going to pre-order mine!!!!

melody

melodyscakes Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:56pm
post #527 of 596

It's coming out May 1st!!!!!!

tiggy2 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:15pm
post #528 of 596

Linda does not work for Provo Craft. She is a cake decorator and has several DVDs out.

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:33pm
post #529 of 596

@greengyrl26

Thanks for your reply & advice, I've decided to give another try this weekend. I have another brand of gumpaste that I'm gonna use. l refuse to be defeated by a piece of machinery and sugar icon_biggrin.gif

candicemorgannicholson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candicemorgannicholson Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:25am
post #530 of 596

Thank you for all the help!!!!!!

lorrinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrinda Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 5:52pm
post #531 of 596

I have the Expression which I have used for paper crafts for some time now. So I know how to use the machine well, and I want to try it for my cakes. I have read all 36 pages of this forum and I have a question I hope someone can answer.

With the new Cricut Cake out now, will the parts for it (pink cutting mat, gumpaste sheets and new cutting blade) fit into the Expression?

TobiasWilhelm Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:16pm
post #532 of 596

It is my understanding that the food-safe cutting blade will only fit the Cricut Cake.

Tobias

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:53pm
post #533 of 596

Hi Tobias,

You may have answered this question already, but not knowing the flow of how the Cricut works Im not sure, so I hope you dont mind the question, possibly a second time.

I currently dont have a Cricut, but want to get one very soon. Ive read every post I can in regards to this topic, and from what I understand, all the existing cartridges will work with the new Cricut Cake machine, BUT will the new cake cartridges work in the other machines, such as the Expression?

Thank you,
Tammy

TobiasWilhelm Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 12:28am
post #534 of 596

It is my understanding that the cartridges will be interchangeable between the machines, which makes sense if you think about it. The big differences between the Cricut Expression and Cricut Cake are in food safety and handling. The new blade housing is apparently designed to work with gumpaste and the like and likely couldn't be retrofitted.

Tobias

glendaleAZ Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 1:55am
post #535 of 596

Thank you Tobias

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:03am
post #536 of 596

I am so excited about this site. And I so appreciate all the ideas and sharing. I guess I need oops mean HAVE to buy a cricut.

thanks

melodyscakes Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #537 of 596

what I understand, is that the cake cartridge will only be sold with the new cricut cake machine. which stinks, but I don't have any machine, so I will wait and order the new one.

also, there is a site where you can pre-order the cake cricut and instead of paying $400.00 it is $300.00
you'll have to check out the other post about the cricut on the other post to get the web site.

good luck and have fun!

glendaleAZ Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:47am
post #538 of 596

I've been to the their website cut n crop and the deal looks really good. Has any purchased anything from them before?

Creationsbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creationsbykim Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:53pm
post #539 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavette

I just wanted to add I'm not sure if you all have heard but there is a software that you can use with your cricut called (Sure cuts alot) so you dont have to buy so many cartridges......and you can make you own images from what I have researched so how great would something like that be to design so many different fonts and use you cricut and gumpaste (and SAVE MONEY) to decorate a cake!!!

Be warned however that if you use Sure Cuts A lot, if voids your warranty for your Cricut.

Kim

TobiasWilhelm Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:23am
post #540 of 596

So does making the modifications that need to be made to cut gumpaste with the regular Cricut. Thats a huge advantage of the Cricut Cake - you can cut gumpaste while under full warranty.

My guess is that since Cricut is not affiliated with the makers of SCAL or MTC, they would rather not be responsible if a third-party program screws up their product, unlikely as that may be.

Tobias

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%