Using The Cricut With Gum Paste

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm by cloetzu

kake4umjp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4umjp Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 10:31pm
post #391 of 596

I have them both. I like my pasta maker best, But I will use either of them. The KA is up off the table and hard to control the dough. You must work with small pieces. You can roll out longer pieces of dough with the pasta maker. I love my motorized one. It leaves both hands free to work with the dough. One to quide it and one to keep it straight.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 11:51am
post #392 of 596

I think I've read everything (whew!) and I really appreciate all the info, but I'm going to ask:

Which cricut machine do you prefer and why? I really didn't want to spend as much as the expression, but it seems you can get wider cuts? Is that right? How necessary is that? Not to sound simple but I'm just waffling so bad on which one to buy and need some opinions here! icon_lol.gif

Is there a real downside to buying one of the smaller ones, like the create? Since most cakes are 4 in tall (or thereabouts), do I need the expression, or would a smaller one work? I'm hoping this isn't all about personal preference, 'cuz I don't know which one I want! icon_lol.gif

ANY opinions would be greatly appreciated. I want to buy one!!! Anxious to get started.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 1:36pm
post #393 of 596

I got the expression because I usually prefer to get more and not need it than to get less and find out I do need or want more after all.

If you're going to do cut outs for the sides the small one should be plenty. But if you wanted to do a cut out to cover the entire top of a cake, you would probably need the E. Now I haven't actually tried it out myself - I've been reading everything to figure out how to do it and plan to try this weekend, so its just my opinion on the size of machine.

kake4umjp - thanks for the info. which electronic pasta roller do you use? there are so many?!

anyone else who uses the makins clay roller - whats the trick? I tried it and my gp just stuck to it like mad while I was trying to roll it thru.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 2:57pm
post #394 of 596

re: clay roller, I put a bunch of PS in the middle of a Jcloth and tie it up. Then I "pouff" EVERYTHING (roller, gp, counter, first born...) and it seems to work fine. Just "pouff" after every other pass with the gp.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 3:23pm
post #395 of 596

I had the Makins clay roller and hated it. HATED IT! I trashed it and bought the KA pasta roller, and couldn't be happier! The Makins one wouldn't go thin enough for me, and my fondant stuck to it something awful. I really like how the KA one is up off of the cabinet, and gives you room to work.

I too got the Expression so that I could make cuts in 1 piece to fit the top of a cake, if I so desired. I'd rather have the bigger one and only need it once in a while, than have a smaller one and wish I could make bigger cuts. But...that's just a personal preference.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:10pm
post #396 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

I "pouff" EVERYTHING (roller, gp, counter, first born...)

LMAO! Thanks so much - for the info and the nice healthy LOL

lindaj36523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindaj36523 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:26am
post #397 of 596

Provocraft just is coming out with acricut just for cakes..
check this out.
http://www.cricut.com/shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?id=906&s=1&sc=2

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:39am
post #398 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaj36523

check this out.

So many things ran through my mind when I saw this:

"It's about time"
"Of course, right after I finally bought a cricut on ebay"
"Wow, they are awfully proud of that thing"
"I guess this means there will be a stern warranty warning with the cricuts and gumpaste or sugarveil"

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 1:40am
post #399 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaj36523

check this out.

I can't figure out what's different about this Cricut, than the Expression? Of course there's this new cartridge (that looks pretty good), and it looks like maybe it doesn't have rollers, but other than that...what's different?

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:21am
post #400 of 596

Oh my goodness! I had no idea you could use the Cricut for this! I have the expression sitting in the closet. That's where it has been for over a year. Its still in the box...never opened. ugh!
I had great ideas of scrapbooking but it never happened.

Now, I am wondering if I should sell this one and get the one for cakes? Has anyone had a chance to work with the new one for cakes?

wow...I am so thrilled that I might be able to actually make something for the cakes with that machine!
Thanks for starting this thread even though it was a long time ago icon_biggrin.gif

lindaj36523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindaj36523 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:32am
post #401 of 596

I think just the price... just shows you they are listening and thought great another way to
to make more money..
Do like the idea of no rollers in middle and the blade being inclosed and a overlay that covers all buttons from what I see in pic

mommyle Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:41pm
post #402 of 596

Ok. Well, I've just finally read through the entire 28 pages. And now I'm kicking myself for not reading and keeping up sooner!!! I have had so many "delays" in getting started, and then yesterday I finally took the plunge and started getting the gummy off my mat. Well, I wish that I had actually read ALL the posts before I started, so 2 ruined mats later I finally read more and now I have 2 good mats to work with (thank you to all for that!!!). Then I just about cried when I ran my Wilton GP through the machine and it was all raggeddy. I just about gave up, but then sat down and read a few MORE pages of posts, and learned to set the timer to let my fondant SIT for 10 minutes!!!! UGH!!!! So I finally read all of the posts, and I had been having SOOOOOO many problems with SCAL that I was ready to just say "fuggedabudit"and get MTC (despite being out the money!), and I tried ONE LAST THING... And it worked!!!!!

I love all of you so much! If I weren't married I would propose to each and every one of you!!!!! Have a great day!!!!!

mommyle Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 5:45pm
post #403 of 596

Oh, and a couple of things I forgot to add...

1 - I cut my rubbers off, and still use paper, and it's NOT a problem at all. Okay, that doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean!

2 - My first set of LM's DVD the second disk wouldn't read at all. I got mine through GSA. I contacted them, and they contacted her, and within a week I had a brand new DVD, and GSA was SO appologetic it was insane!!!! What a great company to work with!!!!

3 - What I would truly like to see is if LM would teach some "trainer" classes, and, like Wilton, individuals could get certified in the LM Cricut Method for Cakes and teach classes!!!! I'd pay to do that!

mommyle Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:17pm
post #404 of 596

OHH!!!! I have a good question... Does it matter HOW you put the blade in the housing? And where should the arrow be facing that is on the housing?
Dumb, I know, but I've lost my information book (I've been cleaning, a.k.a. throwing out stuff!).
Thanks guys!

crazyladybaker Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:20pm
post #405 of 596

I just looked and my book says that arrow needs to be facing you.
HTH

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 6:32pm
post #406 of 596

i took my housing out and popped it back in a couple of times and it works at any position.

cricut does have a learning curve and can be frustrating. glad you are enjoying it now !

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #407 of 596

Ok, so......I've read the first 5ish pages and the last 5ish pages and I am now confused. Does any of the Cricuts support using your own images from your computer or you can only use the images on the cartridges?

mommyle Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 8:47pm
post #408 of 596

Oh... blessedist... you HAVE to read the whole thing!!!! there is SOOOOO much information here! I actually have to go back and re-read it! There are some web-sites posted for getting good graphics, there are at least 2 non-provocraft systems you can down-load for using on your computer with your cricut, and about a gazillion tips and helpful information! Seriously, it's worth the read!

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 8:48pm
post #409 of 596

It doesn't matter if the arrow is facing you or not. The instruction booklet just recommends it face you so you can adjust the blade depth during projects.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 8:50pm
post #410 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedist

Ok, so......I've read the first 5ish pages and the last 5ish pages and I am now confused. Does any of the Cricuts support using your own images from your computer or you can only use the images on the cartridges?

ProvoCraft only supports images from their own cartridges. There are 3rd party companies that sell software so you can use your own images - SCAL (sure cuts a lot) and MTC (make the cut)

brooklyncaillouet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooklyncaillouet Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 9:44pm
post #411 of 596
Quote:

Oh, and a couple of things I forgot to add...

1 - I cut my rubbers off, and still use paper, and it's NOT a problem at all. Okay, that doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean!

2 - My first set of LM's DVD the second disk wouldn't read at all. I got mine through . I contacted them, and they contacted her, and within a week I had a brand new DVD, and was SO appologetic it was insane!!!! What a great company to work with!!!!

3 - What I would truly like to see is if LM would teach some "trainer" classes, and, like Wilton, individuals could get certified in the LM Cricut Method for Cakes and teach classes!!!! I'd pay to do that!

Carrie Biggers in Utah is teaching a Cricut class

mommyle Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:11am
post #412 of 596

That's excellent! Is she pushing the DVD too? What does she call the class?? How does LM feel about it, since she "created" the method?

OK, I found the information. Still, did she get the idea from LM? Or did she develop her own technique?

Since I didn't think of it myself, I would personally not want to take the credit.

And please don't read anything into what I'm writing icon_smile.gif I am just saying that I would love to teach LM''s method, using her DVD as a basis, and running through it as a class.

luvstoshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvstoshop Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 12:32am
post #413 of 596

I was on the Cricut website and they show a cake Cricut it must be
something new there coming out with.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:03am
post #414 of 596

OK, so I happened accidentally on a Cricot tutorial on youtube while I was looking for something else yesterday... I got so engrossed in it and others that I can't even remember what I was originally doing!

I came back here and read through this entire thread and then went ahead and got SCAL. I spent most of the night searching for and gathering hundreds of svg files from the web... I'm soooo excited!

Walmart online had the Cricut Expression bundle for $274, It's the cheapest price I've found... AND I won 2 Amex giftcards at work last week totalling $150... it must be a sign to go forth and buy it don'tya think! icon_wink.gif

Is there a better deal on the mahine out there that I don't know about? I bought the deepcut blade/housing from eBay for $15... got everything so far except the machine!
WooHoo!

crazyladybaker Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 11:44am
post #415 of 596

I too have been engulfed in the whole Cricut idea icon_lol.gif

As far as the deep cut blade goes I am going to try and get that today. There were a couple I had bid on last night but lost both. Wonder if we were bidding against each other? ahahaha icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, it looks like Walmart has it for $18 so I might try there or check HL and Michaels pricing too.

The SCL sound so wonderful!!!

Can't wait to see what you make!

brooklyncaillouet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooklyncaillouet Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:27pm
post #416 of 596
Quote:

That's excellent! Is she pushing the DVD too? What does she call the class?? How does LM feel about it, since she "created" the method?

OK, I found the information. Still, did she get the idea from LM? Or did she develop her own technique?

Since I didn't think of it myself, I would personally not want to take the credit.

And please don't read anything into what I'm writing icon_smile.gif I am just saying that I would love to teach LM''s method, using her DVD as a basis, and running through it as a class.

L McClure taught Carrie how to use the Cricut to cut gum paste. She knows about the class and supports her in this. She also personally taught the other people who used the Cricut in the newest ultimate cake off. Credit should be given to her, but so many people forget where the idea came from.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 3:38pm
post #417 of 596

OK, I took the plunge and loaded up last night!
I got the blue Cricut Expression bundle for $229 (free shipping)
The Deep Cut blade w/housing for $14.99 ($1.00 shipping)
2 extra 12x12 mats for $15.84 (free shipping)

All from eBay using 'Buy it Now' with no bidding, plus I earned $5.24 in eBay bucks!

WoooHoo! I can't wait!

crazyladybaker Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 4:46pm
post #418 of 596

Way to go chilz822! I just got back from Hobby Lobby where I bought my deep blade and am about to drag out everything I will need to experiment.

Walmart had the blade housing for $18 something online only...said it wasn't available in stores. So...I printed that out and took it to HL and they matched the price. Their price was $29.99 so I wasn't sure they would match..whew! I am so glad they did.

Have a great day.

kake4umjp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4umjp Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:49pm
post #419 of 596

I bought my deep blade for $7.00 on Amazon.com, try that. I found after lots of trial and error that the Wilton fondant with a little tylose and a lot of crisco in it works great. I also found that trial and error worked better than any video. I rolled my fondant real thin put it on my pad and rubbed by hands with cristo and smoothed the fondant with my hands and ran my fondant thru the cricut immediately. I was trying to do it Like the video for weeks, gave up and read this ALL THE POSTS here and learned more...Thanks everyone.... I will try to post my cakes. I am not sure how to do it.
LL

crazyladybaker Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:54pm
post #420 of 596

I bought my deep blade for $7.00 on Amazon.com.

Did that price include the housing or just the blade? Just curious for future blade purchases. I had to buy the housing and blade today.
Thanks thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%