Using The Cricut With Gum Paste

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm by cloetzu

smorris7119 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smorris7119 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 2:38am
post #331 of 596

I have the DVD as well, it looks like she stores the designs on a cake board in a very large plastic bag. Have to wonder where she got a plastic bag that large?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 2:49am
post #332 of 596

keeping it in the freezer.. she says. keeps it damp and pliable until she needs it.. there are huge freezer bags at the grocery stores and wal mart ,etc.. i have her dvd .. but haven,t played with it yet. i keep watching it .. then i will go for it.. ha! her last 2 are out also. got to get them. on the last one. she is showing how to make all her icings, everything she does.. to make her decorating easier..

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 2:54am
post #333 of 596

i forgot to add. i wrote her about her recipes that use to be on her site. she said she took them off. and now they are all in her newest dvd... and lots of good stuff.. also.. she says when and if you do cut those roller off. it DOES NOT IN ANY WAY PREVENT YOU FROM USING PAPER AGAIN.. she has experimented with this for so long and got it down pat.. so i can,t wait to try it also..

smorris7119 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smorris7119 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:06am
post #334 of 596

I played with it tonight and cut out a 2" intricate rose pattern it did a nice job buy my problem seems to be getting the gum paste wide enough. I have a pasta machine that fits on a kitchen aid and it will only give me a swath about 4 to 5 inches and rather fryed at that.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 4:58am
post #335 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i forgot to add. i wrote her about her recipes that use to be on her site. she said she took them off. and now they are all in her newest dvd... and lots of good stuff.. also.. she says when and if you do cut those roller off. it DOES NOT IN ANY WAY PREVENT YOU FROM USING PAPER AGAIN.. she has experimented with this for so long and got it down pat.. so i can,t wait to try it also..

You do NOT have to cut the rollers if you don't wanna. You can just push them to the side. They're held in place by metal grooves, but just push those rollers over the metal groove (there's some small resistance at first).

The rollers are just rubber, so there's some give when you push them to the side. It's actually pretty easy, and you can roll them back to their original position if you decide to later on down the road.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 1:38pm
post #336 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by slpottawa

Found this website with tons of tutorials on how to use SCAL. They also ahve some free SVG/SCAL files. Sorry if this was posted before: http://svgcuts.com/blog/?cat=4

Thanks somuch for the link I recently signed up for the trial version of SCAL and didn't have a clue how to access it.LOL

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 4:39pm
post #337 of 596

My awesome hubby got me a Cricut Create for Christmas! Now, I just need to order my deep blade and some extra mats. And eventually buy SCAL. I don't want to spend gobs of money on those cartridges...the price is ridiculous!

Yay HUBBY! icon_biggrin.gif

zdebssweetsj Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:14pm
post #338 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsmom245

My awesome hubby got me a Cricut Create for Christmas! Now, I just need to order my deep blade and some extra mats. And eventually buy SCAL. I don't want to spend gobs of money on those cartridges...the price is ridiculous!

Yay HUBBY! icon_biggrin.gif

They sell the deep blade and other accessories old Walmart. I'm still working on the use of SCAL good luck

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:35pm
post #339 of 596

Thanks so much for the info! I have to go there today to get some groceries, so I will look. I might just get to play with it tonight...YIPPPEEEE!!!

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:19am
post #340 of 596

Ok, I bought Linda McClure's DVD and have played with my Cricut and gumpaste. I rolled it really thin with my pasta roller. However, when I cut out a letter or clip art, it seems to fray or be really rough around the edges. I've never used gum paste before, only fondant, and I'm wondering if I let the gum paste get too dry. Also, what pressure, speed, and blade depth do you recommend. I was using medium pressure, low speed, and #5 or #6 on the blue blade. I don't feel like I'm doing it right. I tried fondant but that seemed to wet and it moved all over the mat. Help!!!

nia0524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nia0524 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 12:35am
post #341 of 596

You can also use rice paper or the icing sheets...

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:17am
post #342 of 596

Just wanted to share with all of the Cricut users there is new software that just came out that rivals SCAL (Sure Cuts A lot), I highly recomend you check it out before you purchase SCAL, it's calles Make the cut and the user interface seems so much easier and the best part it's an all in one program, it converts things straight into svg cut files, no need for Inkscape.

I am bummed I didn't find out about this one until I already got SCAL, I'm hoping this means SCAL will do an update soon adding the cool features of make the cut! Check it out (no spaces)

http:// just-a-scrappin. blogspot. com/2009/12/make-cut-vs-sure-cuts-lot.html

http:// www. make-the-cut .com/

zdebssweetsj Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:10am
post #343 of 596

With the fondant you'll need to let it dry for a little while then cut

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:23pm
post #344 of 596

with sure cuts alot 2 you dont need to use inkscape anymore,

theres a trace freature now

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:18pm
post #345 of 596

I ordered my cricut expression this morning and was wondering if I need a deep cut blade.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:20pm
post #346 of 596

tiggy2....yes, you'll need one. I got mine at Wal-Mart for around $30

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 12:14am
post #347 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I ordered my cricut expression this morning and was wondering if I need a deep cut blade.

I got the deep blade housing + one blade for $7 on ebay (after Bing) with free shipping. I wonder if it was a price mistake because after I made my purchase it wasn't available for that price anymore. Also, I got SCAL2 on disc with 2 free deep blades for around $66. That was actually my first and only time buying anything from eBay, and it worked thank goodness.

This was about 3 months back, but here's the post on how I saved a some money:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-651699-cricut.html

HTH

andpotts Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:04am
post #348 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla1505

with sure cuts alot 2 you dont need to use inkscape anymore,

theres a trace freature now

You still need it to convert to svg, SCAL is an awesome program and make the cut is new, but it does have some nice features, I just wish there had been more info about it's upcoming release before it just showed up. I really do hope having competition in the market will make Crafters Edge do some more SCAL upgrades though icon_smile.gif

zdebssweetsj Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 6:30pm
post #349 of 596

I was just about to buy SCAL when I checked out Make the Cut Now I don't know which to buy Make the cut looked simpler but they went through it so fast. Do any of you have it or both and know what the differences are? Help!!

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 8:32pm
post #350 of 596

I saw several questions regarding the Linda's gumpaste recipe. Well, I emailed them and I found out that yes, the recipe was indeed removed from website and older DVD. There was a lot of interest in them selling affordable ready made gumpaste. Just about ready to begin advertising, just have to finish the labeling. "This will save time and hassle of making it ourselves". Not sure if just online sales only or if can be purchased through certain cake suppliers. Boy, I wish I had bought this DVD when I first found about this earlier this year.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:02pm
post #351 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyfj1

Ok, I bought Linda McClure's DVD and have played with my Cricut and gumpaste. I rolled it really thin with my pasta roller. However, when I cut out a letter or clip art, it seems to fray or be really rough around the edges. I've never used gum paste before, only fondant, and I'm wondering if I let the gum paste get too dry. Also, what pressure, speed, and blade depth do you recommend. I was using medium pressure, low speed, and #5 or #6 on the blue blade. I don't feel like I'm doing it right. I tried fondant but that seemed to wet and it moved all over the mat. Help!!!

I bought the DVD from Linda AcClure and she does not mention the blade setting in her video, I wrote to her and this is what she wrote back:
"The blue housing unit is usually set on 5. I find this is fine for what ever I want to cut. I set the pressure on the machine to 2 for thin pieces of gum paste and to 3 for gum paste that is a little thicker. Do a small sample cut so you will know for sure what will work the best.
For best results the gum paste needs to be very thin. If it is too thick the knife will drag across it when cutting.
We are making the gum paste to sell and so I can't give out the recipe.. My best advice is to use CAI tylose powder. It works the best for me and should work for you. It is in a bottle with a black and hot pink label. You can order it from Confectionery Arts International.
I hope this helps, Have a Happy New Year!! Linda"

I hope this will help you, I am ordering the tylose powder to make my own gum paste, I had use the Satin Ice Gum paste, but it frayed a little.

Lomikesa

andpotts Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:19pm
post #352 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

I was just about to buy SCAL when I checked out Make the Cut Now I don't know which to buy Make the cut looked simpler but they went through it so fast. Do any of you have it or both and know what the differences are? Help!!

I will tell you SCAL is wonderful, so you can feel secure if you do buy it, but Make the Cut looks cool and I think if I were buying right now, I might lean towards it. Anyhow here are two great sites that might help you out ScrappyDew already has a couple video tutorials posted (no spaces)

http:// www. scrappydew. com/

and at Clever Someday, she has a handy side by side comparrison chart she is continuing to update as Make the Cut is very new (no spaces)

http:// cleversomeday. wordpress. com/

HTH, Andrea

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:18am
post #353 of 596

I finally have success!!! See my post in another cricut forum:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6664843-.html#6664843

Scrapbooking_Grandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scrapbooking_Grandma Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 11:13pm
post #354 of 596

I have Make The Cut Video Tutorials on my blog at scrapbookinggrandma.blogspot.com

I bought MTC and I just love using it.

PamelaR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PamelaR Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:35am
post #355 of 596

I've been doing cakes with my cricut E for a while now. I figured it out on my own and had never heard about someone else doing decorating with them until I found the different posts on here. I have the MTC software and really like it. I tried SCAL and didn't like it at all and started using CDS but I was still looking for something to use that didn't take a cart. Then I found the MTC. It's GREAT if you aske me I'm glad I went a head and got it.

andpotts Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 3:55am
post #356 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaR

I've been doing cakes with my cricut E for a while now. I figured it out on my own and had never heard about someone else doing decorating with them until I found the different posts on here. I have the MTC software and really like it. I tried SCAL and didn't like it at all and started using CDS but I was still looking for something to use that didn't take a cart. Then I found the MTC. It's GREAT if you aske me I'm glad I went a head and got it.

What didn't you like about SCAL? Until I heard of Make the Cut in the last week or so, there was nothing to compare it to it is a wonderful program that has been a huge money saver for me. I'm just wondering why you like MTC if you didn't like SCAL since they are the same type program just with a few different abilities?

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:58pm
post #357 of 596
Quote:

I would love a detailed explanation of what you didn't like about SCAL, and what you did like about MTC. I haven't purchased either one of them yet, as I'm waiting to hear some reviews about MTC before making a decision.

zdebssweetsj Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 12:56pm
post #358 of 596

I've played around with both trial versions this week while I'm off work I feel like MTC is more user friendly. I don't do scrapbooking so I'm not sure I'd need all the features of SCAL or it just seemed more complicated to me.

PamelaR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PamelaR Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 2:25pm
post #359 of 596

The big thing is no need for inkscape. I hated doing the reconfiguring just to get a download to cut correctly and placed in a svg file. With MTC, it's all done with in that program and especially when its a black and white format. The only thing that made SCAL bearable was that inkscape was free. It was just so much messing around and took up way too much time. and like I said I worked for days trying to get every click streamlined but with MTC it literally took me like 1.5-2 hours and i was cutting out gum past (MMF with tylose) I agree it is a money savor. And also as a side note I figured out how to use my DS with MTC with downloads to expand creativity even more. I combine cuts from the cricut carts with ttf and svg files. but you need both programs to do it.

zdebssweetsj Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 12:30am
post #360 of 596
Quote:

The big thing is no need for inkscape. I hated doing the reconfiguring just to get a download to cut correctly and placed in a svg file. With MTC, it's all done with in that program and especially when its a black and white format. The only thing that made SCAL bearable was that inkscape was free. It was just so much messing around and took up way too much time. and like I said I worked for days trying to get every click streamlined but with MTC it literally took me like 1.5-2 hours and i was cutting out gum past (MMF with tylose) I agree it is a money savor. And also as a side note I figured out how to use my DS with MTC with downloads to expand creativity even more. I combine cuts from the cricut carts with ttf and svg files. but you need both programs to do it.

Thanks I really hate it when I don't know what I need, I just don't want to turn around a spend hundreds of dollars on cartridges when you only use a couple of the designs. Have you ever cut stencils with your cricut, for icing transfers, and do you have any advice, as always greedy for knowledge. TIA Deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%