Using The Cricut With Gum Paste

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm by cloetzu

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:22pm
post #61 of 596

Geez oh peets, is anyone else having problems with all the threads clicking to "watch this topic for replies" on their own?? It's buggin me man! icon_mad.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 10:48pm
post #62 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Geez oh peets, is anyone else having problems with all the threads clicking to "watch this topic for replies" on their own?? It's buggin me man! icon_mad.gif

Tell me about it! If it's not double or triplet post it will says topic doesn't exist when I look for a forum post!!!

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #63 of 596

Ouch, costly but I am getting the "BUG" to have this.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 11:48pm
post #64 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

Anyone have the slice and try it with that? I am (ok was until cakes came around) an avid scraper and really want the slice... so i would be willing to invest it i could use it for scrapping and cakes!

I don't have a Slice, but I looked at the website and don't see why it wouldn't work. HOWEVER, you cannot use anything but the cartridges that you purchase to use with the slice. As of now, it doesn't have the capability to download your own designs to a memory card and then insert the memory card and cut your design, although the website says that they are working on that. You also have limitations in the size you want to cut. I have the Cricut Expression (and absolutely love it BWT), and you can use up to a 12" x 24" inch paper and I would think that you could use gumpaste the same size, as well as being able to create your own designs and cut them out of gumpaste, provided that you have all the necessary computer software.

Something else to consider: Cricut has color inks that you can use to draw letters or shapes. The site doesn't say they are toxic or non-toxic, but I think that because the inks aren't intended for use on anything but non-edible surfaces, that if you have used the ink or plan to, you will not be able to use the Cricut to cut gumpaste designs. Although the ink colors are inserted after removing the cutting blade and so maybe it might be okay, but I don't think I will take that chance. Maybe someone that has the Cricut Color Inks could check their product and see if it is toxic or non-toxic.

All that being said, I am really excited about the possibility of using my Cricut for gumpaste and can't wait to order the video and see how to do it!

rc1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rc1980 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:13pm
post #65 of 596

Does anyone know the instructions to cut gum paste on the cricut??

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:47pm
post #66 of 596

Cricut's web site list cartridge inks under the word "consumables", therefore they should be food safe.

I went back in and looked at the web site, again, now I'm not so sure. They also list paper products as "consumable". My idea of consumable and their clearly are different. Alas, we do need to know what the ink contains.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:55pm
post #67 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1980

Does anyone know the instructions to cut gum paste on the cricut??

See my last post (previous page).

rc1980 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:08pm
post #68 of 596

I actually followed her instructions and it didn't work for me. I am now wondering which housing blade she used...

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:30pm
post #69 of 596

Hey did y'all see this -- in this Sunday's JoAnns flier the Cricut Expression (normally $399.99) is $279.99!! icon_lol.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm
post #70 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1980

I actually followed her instructions and it didn't work for me. I am now wondering which housing blade she used...

Sorry to hear that. I did see they have a special deep cutting housing blade - saw it yesterday at Hobby Lobby. Did you use the regular one? Maybe you could PM the OP - rvanok - and find out. . .then let us know! icon_lol.gif

rc1980 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:42pm
post #71 of 596

well my boss and I tried everything we could think of. She ended up buying the video too...

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:02pm
post #72 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapazlady

Cricut's web site list cartridge inks under the word "consumables", therefore they should be food safe.

I went back in and looked at the web site, again, now I'm not so sure. They also list paper products as "consumable". My idea of consumable and their clearly are different. Alas, we do need to know what the ink contains.

No, no reason to think that these are the equivalent of edible inks.

In this case, the word "consumables" simply means something that will be used up/destroyed during the process.

Rae

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:28am
post #73 of 596

I just watched the DVD! Mind you I bought it but I don't have a Cricut! I was hoping it would convince me that I couldn't live another day without one.

It is a good instructional DVD. Sky is the limit on what you can do on gumpaste. Great for enlarging pattern sizes when you need it or reducing them too. She has figured out a way to use airbrush colors in the machine so it will outline and draw in the details and cut too!

I was interested in the lace and scroll work for weddinig cakes and fancy cakes. But now I'm wondering how would you cut a cake that had brittle gumpast stuck all around the sides? Could be difficult for the bride and groom doing their first cut. Wouldn't all the gp have to be removed to cut and serve? icon_confused.gif

What are your opinions and thoughts?

Was wondering if Jennifer Dontz' chocolate fondant would work since it is very manageable or maybe the choc clay?

Anyone willing to try her recipe to see it it works?

Bakingangel Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:37am
post #74 of 596

Well...that figures! icon_mad.gif I retyped a reply 3 times and each time it said the website timed out. Looks like the last one really took! Sorry

Juliefes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliefes Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:17pm
post #75 of 596

I don't think the ink in the Cricut Pens should be eaten. However, just because a person sometimes uses pens in their Cricut, it does not mean that the Cricut could not be used for cutting designs with it. The Cricut and other digital cutters use a blade to do the cutting. Ink is not a part of the process unless you insert a pen in place of the blade holder.

The deep cut blade housing and the longer blade tip included with it allows users to cut thicker items. I would think that frosting sheets or thinly rolled gum paste would be cut better with the deep cut blade housing and blade. The deep cut housing and blade for the Cricut are the same as what comes standard on the Pazzles Inspiration, allowing you to cut items up to 1mm thick. You can also cut paper with this blade housing and blade, so I use it all the time on my Cricut Expression.

The Slice, on the other hand, has a very tiny blade. If your frosting sheet or gum paste is no thicker than cardstock, it may work, but creativity is very limited because you have to use the designs sold for the Slice, and you are limited in the size that you can cut. I don't think the depth of this blade will work for this type of project, although I have never done it. I have a friend who owns the Slice, so perhaps she can test it for us. Meanwhile, I hope someone who has the Slice and has tried it will post.

Bakingangel Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:06pm
post #76 of 596

Julie, have you cutout any gumpaste in your Cricut? I'd like to know how it handled and looked. Would like your opinion.

As far as the coloring, I agree the ink that comes with the Cricut is not to be consumed. She has figured a way to clean out and refill the ink pen with airbrush ink which is consumable. Sweet! thumbs_up.gif

Has anyone else ventured into this arena?

Bakingangel Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:47pm
post #77 of 596

I know a lot of you are interested in this too. Isn't there anyone who has actually done this and can share?

ptanyer Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:57pm
post #78 of 596

I just got my DVD yesterday and finally got a chance to watch it this afternoon. Need to get some gumpaste and then I can give it a try. When i do, I will be glad to report how it turned out.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:10am
post #79 of 596

ptanyer that's great I am interested too. I am waiting for my DVD also. Did you buy the blue housing to use as that is what Linda advised me to get as it sits higher.

ptanyer Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:53am
post #80 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briarview

ptanyer that's great I am interested too. I am waiting for my DVD also. Did you buy the blue housing to use as that is what Linda advised me to get as it sits higher.

I had already purchased one some time ago because I was using it to cut stencils out of stencil plastic. I bought it on Ebay and got it cheaper than at Walmart - which never seems to have it, only the regular blades.

I ordered some mats and inks today and expect they will be here next weekend and then I can give it a try.

Loved the DVD by the way. Lots of info! Really excited about trying it!!! Happy Dance...Happy Dance.. icon_lol.gif

ptanyer Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:31am
post #81 of 596

Okay, step 1 completed! I took a 12x12 Cricut cutting mat and sat down to scrape the adhesive off. First thing I learned: the mat has a frosted appearance. That isn't the adhesive. You want to scrape off the adhesive, not the frosted appearance. I laid it on the counter, sprayed it with Dawn Power Dissolver and scrubbed in with a scrub brush. Then took my bench scraper and scraped the adhesive off. It pretty much left the frosted appearance alone. Then I put it in the sink with straight hot water and washed both sides of the mat until clean. Towel dried it and stood it up to completely dry - just took a few minutes. Mat is now ready to go!

Tomorrow night I will be able to try the gumpaste. Tip: if you scrape off the frosting, you will not be able to see the lines on the mat. Those lines help you line up the gumpaste in the proper place.

Will keep you posted thumbs_up.gif

miny Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:56am
post #82 of 596

Thanks Ptanyer, well be waiting for step 2, you are an angel for trying this and posted it for us thumbs_up.gif

miny Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #83 of 596

Heads up guys, michael's is selling cricut cartridges this week for $44.99 !!!!

Juliefes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliefes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:44am
post #84 of 596

I am on vacation right now, and I don't have my Cricut with me. However, I do have my Gazelle with me, so I hope to do some experimenting with cutting some gum paste in the next few days. There are some instructions at the Bosskutforum posted for cutting clay on the Gazelle. The same instructions should work with gum paste as well.

I think there are many techniques that will work. I may order the DVD when I get home, but meanwhile I have been doing some research on the subject. There are lots of recipes online for making your own gum paste, and much information for using it. The more people who experiment with this, the more ideas will be developed for cutting the gum paste on our cutters.

I don't think we need to remove the adhesive from our mats. You can tape parchment paper to your regular mat. I would not want my edible paste designs to be contaminated by the toxins in the adhesive on the mats or with the chemicals used in the cleaning the adhesive from the mats.

Julie

Bakingangel Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:23am
post #85 of 596

Thanks PTanyer and Juliesfes! I knew I wasn't alone on this. I'm chomping at the bit to get started. I ordered my Cricut/Jukebox combo on HSN. Seemed like a pretty good deal with all extras and best of all, I can pay it out! icon_biggrin.gif I hope it'll be here by the weekend. Meanwhile I'll be checking in.

beatles22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beatles22 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:43pm
post #86 of 596

I'm a newbie and wonder how do you color the frosting sheets if you use those to cut out?? Thanks for any help! Anita icon_smile.gif

"I use my Silhouette for frosting sheets all the time!! (It's pretty much the exact same thing). I havent tried gumpaste yet, but I may now."

ptanyer Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:17pm
post #87 of 596

Okay, I finally got to play with the gumpaste and the Cricut. I rolled it really thin on my clay machine and greased the cutting mat and laid it down, smoothed it out and then loaded the mat into the Cricut and then spent the next 20 minutes re-learning how to set the Cricut up. But finally got everything set up and pushed the "cut" button. Imagine my excitement as I sat with my nose practically on top of the gumpaste watching it being cut!!! I did a "flourish" type example and then a really delicate set of words. It did great on the flourish, but the words I had the setting two small I think and the gumpaste was really drying out on me so I stopped it 1/2 way through the words. But you can see what it cut. I set the size at 2 3/4" which is really pretty small. But I am really pleased with the 1st attempt. And I used some really old gumpaste I found tucked away so it was drying as I was rolling it out. But for an experiment it worked just fine.

FYI: on the DVD Linda says that you need to cut off the little rubber rings where the cutting mats gets pulled in. But instead of cutting mine, I just rolled it to the left to get it out of the way. That way they are still there if I want to go back and do paper again.

I think that this is the best thing since sliced bread! (Now you know how old I am - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

Anyway, here are photos for you to look at. I zoomed in really close so you could see the edges better. If I can figure a way to light up the inside of the Cricut, I might just video it and post it on YouTube. Do you think that is an infringement on Linda's DVD or method? Don't want to break the rules! Let me know what you think about that.

Also, it is really, really important that you don't scratch off the frosted appearance of the cutting mat. You can't see the lines on the mat without it.
LL
LL

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:26pm
post #88 of 596

I bought mine last night, not had a chance to play with it yet, not sure when I will, have a crazy busy week but I'm sooooooooooooo excited to use my cricut. I may have to skip a night of sleep to play.

For those who use sure cuts alot, is it really worth it or do you still buy new cartridges for things you haven't been able to find online?

How thin did you roll your gumpaste ptayner? I haven't got a pasta roller (waiting to order my KA one)

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #89 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

I'm thinking about ordering this DVD, but I want to know an estimate of how much everything costs. I know how much the machine will cost, but what else do you have to purchase?
Also, can you use JoAnn/Micheal's coupon to purchase the Cricut? Where's the cheapest place to get it?
Thx!

usually NO! icon_smile.gif i think it says it on the coupon in small print. they will usually put them on sale for 40% off.

ptanyer Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:36pm
post #90 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy1971

I bought mine last night, not had a chance to play with it yet, not sure when I will, have a crazy busy week but I'm sooooooooooooo excited to use my cricut. I may have to skip a night of sleep to play.

For those who use sure cuts alot, is it really worth it or do you still buy new cartridges for things you haven't been able to find online?

How thin did you roll your gumpaste ptayner? I haven't got a pasta roller (waiting to order my KA one)

I also bought SCAL but I haven't had time to install it and play with it. I didn't pay full price for mine, I bought it on Ebay and got the USB cable as well, and only paid about $60 for the SCAL, USB cable, access to a special website, and free shipping. I thought it was a really good deal.

I rolled it out to a 6 out of 9 settings. You can buy a clay machine from Michaels, HL or AC Moore with a coupon for 40% to 50% off depending on what coupon you have. Works just the same as a pasta roller and since I only use it for fondant and gumpaste I don't have to worry about it getting contaminated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%