Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm by cloetzu

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:32am
post #451 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyncaillouet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIEQZ

Ok. I just read all 30 pages of this thread. I must get my cricut out and try this. You guys are so wonderful in explaining everything. I was going to order Linda's DVD, but after reading this, I'm not sure I need it. For those of you that have it, is it worth getting it even after all of your very informative and educational posts?

All of her DVD's are very informative. It is worth the investment, especially to be able to see exactly what she is doing.

Ditto! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:11pm
post #452 of 596

I'm just wondering if we'll be able to work the fondant after it's cut. I always let mine set about 15 min. before I cut it?

tiggy2 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:12am
post #453 of 596

Once cut put it in a ziplock bag and is should stay pliable.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:19am
post #454 of 596

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but it's a long thread icon_redface.gif

If you change out the blade and the cutting mat, can you cut both gumpaste AND paper with the same machine? If so... I may just have to break down and buy it!

On hsn . com they have the Expression with 4 cartridges (Storybook, Paper Doll, Doodlecharms, and Home Accents) and 10 ink pens. Is $349.95 a good price? Too much? Plus they have flex pay (4 payments of $87.49) which is kinda pushing me over the edge icon_biggrin.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:19am
post #455 of 596

My WalMart has the Expression with either one or two cartridges for $249. I opted for the Expression with a cartridge and got SCAL for more variety and to save money on cartridges. I have more fonts than I can count on my pc already that I've collected over time. I got my Expression on eBay for $220.

tiggy2 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:31pm
post #456 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but it's a long thread icon_redface.gif

If you change out the blade and the cutting mat, can you cut both gumpaste AND paper with the same machine? If so... I may just have to break down and buy it!

On hsn . com they have the Expression with 4 cartridges (Storybook, Paper Doll, Doodlecharms, and Home Accents) and 10 ink pens. Is $349.95 a good price? Too much? Plus they have flex pay (4 payments of $87.49) which is kinda pushing me over the edge icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, it can be used for both; however some people are concerned about cross contamination. As I don't use glitter paper or anything else I'm concerned about getting into the gumpaste and use different mats for each application I'm not too worried about it. I doubt I will use it a lot for paper but I do have that option.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:22pm
post #457 of 596

Thank you! I figure if I change everything out when going from gumpaste to paper it should be okay.

cakemom55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom55 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:00pm
post #458 of 596

OK....using fondant with tylose...added crisco and crisco rubbed on top...deep cut blade on 6...med pressure...low speed....I can pretty much cut out things that are fairly large with NO fine cutting at all. Is there a trick to be able to cut the more delicate items?

I have read everything I can find....used all the tips and still having trouble.

ALSO....is there a trick to keeping the fondant from bunching up right around the actual blade? Seems like every time I try to cut something, as soon as it starts, it gathers a small amount of fondant around the blade....which leads to rough cutting.

Thanks to anyone who can help!!!

tiggy2 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:09pm
post #459 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemom55

OK....using fondant with tylose...added crisco and crisco rubbed on top...deep cut blade on 6...med pressure...low speed....I can pretty much cut out things that are fairly large with NO fine cutting at all. Is there a trick to be able to cut the more delicate items?

I have read everything I can find....used all the tips and still having trouble.

ALSO....is there a trick to keeping the fondant from bunching up right around the actual blade? Seems like every time I try to cut something, as soon as it starts, it gathers a small amount of fondant around the blade....which leads to rough cutting.

Thanks to anyone who can help!!!

How thin are you rolling your fondant?

cakemom55 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm
post #460 of 596

I have tried super thin....almost can see thru it....then tried several a little thicker....I seem to be getting the same results either way.

tiggy2 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:36pm
post #461 of 596

What brand of fondant are you using?

cakemom55 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:27am
post #462 of 596

I am using Satin Ice fondant.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:41am
post #463 of 596

did you add tylose to the fondant?

AngieD300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngieD300 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:19am
post #464 of 596

Does anybody know the major differences between the Cricut Cake & Expression? From what i've seen online, some differences are that the parts are food safe. I wonder if this is a real issue people have been using the regular Cricut machines for years. I'm just wondering if i should get the Expression (under $200 on ebay) or wait to drop about $400 on the Cake Cricut. Any advice would be great because from this extrememly helpful forum, i want to go get the Expression now & start making cut outs before my ideas blow my head up!! CANT WAIT!!

chilz822 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:31am
post #465 of 596

Wow, soooooo disappointed! I got my dvd's today and disc 1 is practically unwatchable. It sticks, skips, and just stops in so many places. I've emailed the vendor that I purchased it from asking for a replacement, I hope they take care of it quickly, I wanted to watch it soooo bad!

On a positive note... what I was able to see of it looks great!
icon_smile.gif

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:45am
post #466 of 596

I can't wait to get my cricut and get started playing! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

weecakies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weecakies Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:25am
post #467 of 596

I am an employee of Carrie's Cakes (Carrie Biggers) in Sandy, Utah. Carrie is featured in the new CricutCake ads running on cricutcake.com. The machine is fabulous. However, the first time we saw the CricutCake was when the ad was filmed about three weeks ago in Carrie's bakery. Up until that time, we were using the Cricut Expressions machine with the deep-cut housing unit and heavy knife blade. The CricutCake is all food-safe. It has stainless-steel parts, and special housing areas so that you will be less likely to get sugar or shortning or other impurities down in the areas where you might plug in your cartridges, or the keyboard, for instance. You will be able to wipe out the machine and all will be clean. Like I said, we have been using our Cricut Expressions to do all of the cuts. Almost all of the cakes in that ad were made in our kitchen using the Cricut Expressions. It has been loads of fun. My brain is spinning, thinking of all the possibilities. I would be glad to share some of my insights with anyone interested.

chilz822 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:29am
post #468 of 596

Please.. share away!
Were you using cartridges or SCAL? I've been wondering if popping the fondant/tylose mix or gumpaste (whatever you happen to be using at the time) into the fridge for a few mins to firm it up, would help the cutting process and lessen the problems some are having with jagged edges...

Would love any info or wisdom you share! My Cricut arrives tomorrow!

weecakies Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:56am
post #469 of 596

We use a combination of a tylose-based gumpaste very much like the Rosemary Waton's Gumpaste recipe here at Cake Central, mixed with a commercial brand-I can't remember it's name (it comes in a silver package). We live where it's very dry, so we need to have something in the gumpaste that will keep some moisture in it so it can be rolled out onto the mats. I have tried all kinds of formulas-from mixing the homemade gumpaste with chocolate clay or fondant in varying degrees of mixture, using all commercial gumpaste, using fondant- and have found that a 50/50 mixture using the homemade gumpaste and the commercial brand works the best for us. I make the gumpaste and then let it sit at least 24 hours before I mix it with the commercial stuff and load the mats. But remember, this is what works for our climate. If you are getting ragged edges, I think that your mixture is too dry. We have also tried putting our loaded mats (covered and sealed) in the freezer for up to 30 minutes, but have found that sometimes it makes the gumpaste sticky when we try to cut. Are you using a deep-cut housing and heavy-duty knife? We do and it makes a huge difference. We also sit at the machine while it is cutting with a palate-type knife and try to smooth out some of the places that seem to be lifting as the machine cuts. Do you clean the knife off each time you have finished cutting? You can also dip the blade in some shortning. We have also found that the gumpaste needs to be quite thin-we use a sheeter to do that, but we learned from Linda McClure using a KA pasta roller. If your gumpaste is too thick you will not get a good cut. What kind of climate do you live in? If you are in a high-humidity area, I would suggest using something with lots of tylose in it. It's a kind of trial-and error kind of thing, but keep at it. You will figure out what works for you. By the way, the CricutCake has a higher clearance between the mats and the roller bar. It has a different knife-blade. It uses the same blade-housing unit as the Expressions, so I think that we will be able to use the new blade in our Expressions. The CricutCake mats are pink, and come without any kind of "sticky" stuff on them like the green "paper"mats. We use Crisco on the mats to "stick" the gumpaste to them. If you have the green mats, just clean off the sticky stuff-I brushed Crisco on them and let them sit for an hour, and then wiped them off. It took a bit of elbow-grease, but it can be done.

We had to use the Cricut cartridges for the demo cakes because of advertising purposes, but we also have and use the SCAL program for some of our other projects. I will see if I can get some pictures to post. Do you have any other questions? We are having a great time with it. Good luck with your Cricut!

chilz822 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:08am
post #470 of 596

Yes...
My plan is to use SCAL to cut petal outlines I have downloaded from the web..
Have you tried this? Is there as easy way to transform a jpg into an svg? I know Inkscape is the key piece to this, but is it just as simple as opening the jpg in Inkscape andjust 'Saving As' whatever.svg? Does thip open the door to pretty much any graphic (such as coloring book pages) to be used with the Cricut?

Can't wait to see your pics!

weecakies Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:17am
post #471 of 596

Yes-the possibilities are endless. You do need Inkscape, but that download is free. All images have to be svg images, so the "save as" needs to be "save as svg" You can scan any image or download images and use them as long as they are svg images. Please be careful of using anything that has a copyright though. Wouldn't want to break the law..... We haven't updated our SCAL yet. After reading previous posts in this forum, it sounds like we need to.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:16pm
post #472 of 596

Weecakies: When is the Cricut Cake going on the market? The website only says "coming soon." I have not gotten a Cricut yet because with all the cartriges needed it is so expensive. I really want the Cricut Cake, but want to know how long I have to wait? It's either this or EI.

Sandy

tiggy2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:24pm
post #473 of 596

I believe it's coming out in April. If you use Make the Cut or SCAL software you wont need a lot of cartridges, you can get images off the internet or scan them into your computer.

Clementtiene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clementtiene Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:33pm
post #474 of 596

I have the Cricut Expression icon_smile.gif
I have over 60 cartridges icon_smile.gif
I have Cricut Design Studio icon_smile.gif
I have Sure Cuts A Lot icon_smile.gif
I have the deepblade housing icon_smile.gif

icon_biggrin.gif you would think thumbs_up.gif ....right? icon_lol.gif

But it's still not enough for me icon_redface.gif

I want the DVD's by Linda McClure...
AND I CAN NOT GET THEM HERE IN THE NETHERLANDS icon_mad.gif

I can not aford to have them shipped icon_cry.gif
I wish they were downloadable. Like software for example... You pay for it and then download it.

Anyone coming to The Netherlands soon??? lol

weecakies Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:22am
post #475 of 596

The CricutCake will be on the market at the end of April-just in time for Mother's Day.

tiggy2 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:45pm
post #476 of 596

Another example of great customer service. I always try to order directly from the developer if possible just for this reason. icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:15pm
post #477 of 596

I can't say enough about Linda & Jeff's customer service. I bought my dvd's from another site and they would not play correctly. Jeff has been in email contact with me several times today and is shipping me out replacements, even though I didn't buy directly thrrough them.

How amazing is that? I got my Cricut yesterday and cannot wait to watch the dvd's!
Thank you Linda & Jeff!!!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:37pm
post #478 of 596

weecakies,

Please tell Carrie I look forward to seeing her here at the National Captial Area Cake Show in March. Tell her Trevor, a friend of Norm's, says hi.

I've been trying unsuccessfully myself to use the Cricuit with gumpaste. I had some limited success in putting my Cricut on 1 to cut. I am using the Albert Uster gumpaste. I put it on the board, leave it out for 10 minutes or so, and it just seems to tear when I cut with it. I ran it through a Kitchen Aid pasta machine on a pretty high setting. I think my last batch I rolled out to a 7. Thoughts anyone?

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:10pm
post #479 of 596

Okay so I have decided that I have a love/hate relationship with CC bc I love you all but you enlighten me to all sorts of cool stuff that I can't live without...

Case in point, ordered Linda's video and am waiting for my tax return to get my machine

Thanks ladies icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:14pm
post #480 of 596

I feel ya! I swore I wouldn't spend a lot on gadgets but since joinng CC, I've bought 2 airbrushes, an EI printer, a projector,and a Cricut... I 'spose Agbay will be next!

icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%