Using The Cricut With Gum Paste

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm by cloetzu

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:04pm
post #301 of 596

Jenna don't give up, as PTanyer said it's probably your thickness. If you have a pasta roller try rolling it through there I do min on a setting of 5 then put it on my mat and roll to size, this seems to give me the thickness I need.

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm
post #302 of 596

Thanks all for advise, I have switched to the fondant with tylose and that seems to be working better, but I actually think i may have been rolling it too thin. I just did another one and although it cut beautifully, parts of the design broke off when taking the excess fondant off of the mat. I was useing my KA pasta machine and rolling to 6. This time around I'm rolling only to 5 and see if that works better. I'll let you know.

pippilotta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pippilotta Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:10pm
post #303 of 596

So much thanks for starting this wonderful post! I bought therefore a cricut and SCAL and I'm enthusiastic.
After some unsuccessful attemps I made yesterday this cake, the flowers are made 2 days ago and frozen - what a wonderful technique icon_biggrin.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:14pm
post #304 of 596

Question,

Who has cut the rubber circles from their Cricut? Did you have any problems and does it still work with paper.

Thanks

the DVD is great by the way.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:57pm
post #305 of 596

So whats the best cartridges to buy and use for decorating cakes.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #306 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCS

So whats the best cartridges to buy and use for decorating cakes.

It's probably a better idea to purchase SCAL so you're unlimited in your design choice. You have to be patient to familiarize yourself with the software, but I think it's a better investment than the cartridges.

There's a lot of info in this thread about SCAL, but if you've already decided you want the cartridges, the Storybook cart seems to be pretty popular.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:43pm
post #307 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsweet

Question,

Who has cut the rubber circles from their Cricut? Did you have any problems and does it still work with paper.

You may have already found the answer to your question, but I just pushed the rubber circles to the sides. Once you get them over the metal ridge, it's pretty easy to slide them over. Works just fine, and if I decide to use the Cricut for scrapbooking, I can always roll the rubbers back to their original positions.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:34pm
post #308 of 596

I have the storybook one.
Will probably get scal later on after Christmas.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:04pm
post #309 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by lngo

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsweet

Question,

You may have already found the answer to your question, but I just pushed the rubber circles to the sides. Once you get them over the metal ridge, it's pretty easy to slide them over. Works just fine, and if I decide to use the Cricut for scrapbooking, I can always roll the rubbers back to their original positions.

Thank you very much for your help.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:37am
post #310 of 596

Hi all! Thanks SO MUCH for all of the amazing information you've posted here. I just ordered the DVD, and am heading out to buy the Cricut tomorrow! I'm a graphic designer, turned cake decorator, and here's my question. I already have several design programs (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.). These programs will alter, resize & pretty much do anything to any image, and make new images from scratch. These programs also allow me to save as an svg file.

So, since I can already alter & produce svg files, do I really need SCAL? Is there something else that SCAL does that I'm missing? Could I just use a USB cord from my laptop to the Cricut? Thanks in advance for your help!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:07am
post #311 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

Hi all! Thanks SO MUCH for all of the amazing information you've posted here. I just ordered the DVD, and am heading out to buy the Cricut tomorrow! I'm a graphic designer, turned cake decorator, and here's my question. I already have several design programs (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.). These programs will alter, resize & pretty much do anything to any image, and make new images from scratch. These programs also allow me to save as an svg file.

So, since I can already alter & produce svg files, do I really need SCAL? Is there something else that SCAL does that I'm missing? Could I just use a USB cord from my laptop to the Cricut? Thanks in advance for your help!

You need SCAL for the svg files to work with your Cricut, not to make them svg. So yes you'll have to buy it. Being a graphic designer I hope you make and upload tons of svg's you are gonna have lots of fun with this I think! Good luck.

greengyrl26 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:08am
post #312 of 596

Thanks andpotts!

I thought I probably would need it, but it was worth checking! I'm so excited...I just want everything to get here so I can get started already! I've been printing out my designs (almost as a stencil) and using an exacto knife to cut everything out. This will save so much time I can't even believe it! I'll be sure to post pictures once I get started, though I think my husband is making the cricut my Christmas present. So it may be a while!

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:21am
post #313 of 596

Thank you so much for lots of information here,
I just got my dvd but I can't find Linda's gumpaste recipe ???
is the recipe in the dvd ??
thanks

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:47am
post #314 of 596

I think she just adds a liberal amount of tylose to fondant to turn it into gumpaste. That's what I plan to use when I use the Cricut, and I've read others have done the same with good results.

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:07am
post #315 of 596

Linda McClures recipe for gumpaste is on the DVD - her first one. The recipe is simular to her fondant but different amounts of corn syrup and the addition of the Tylose.
P.S. She has a new video out with lots more great information using the Cricut with the Sure Cuts A Lot program

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:34am
post #316 of 596

Thank you very much, MrsNancyB1 and obabassa
I have the 1st one and I don't see the recipe in my DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . I have to email her and aks her, and my dvd has a lots of cut to it, anyone has that problem too ???

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:17am
post #317 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashley

Here is the software for free for anyone wanting it
http://download.cnet.com/Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-for-Windows/3000-2130_4-10803095.html

Thanks I've just downloaded the free version now I'll have to figure out how to use it LOL. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 6:45pm
post #318 of 596

Thanks for all the info on the Cricut. I love this discussion. In January at the Florida ICES Mini Classes, Norm Davis is giving a class on using the Cricut for gumpaste and fondant. I have signed up for this class (along with several others), so hoping to learn a lot. Classes are listed at www.flices.org.

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 8:52pm
post #319 of 596

I got my DVD yesterday and it must be her new one...it has two discs and on the second disc she talks about Cricut design studio and SCAL. I was wondering about the gumpaste recipe as well. Very informative and clear to understand.

Just wondering if anyone who uses a non-crusting buttercream has added cricut design elements on cakes. At least with a crusting buttercream, you can move letters around on the cake without to much damage for centering and make sure they are straight. I use the Whimsical bakehouse and once the letter is on the cake, I can't move it without messing up the cake. Maybe I can figure out how to tweak my current recipe to make it crusts. Looking forward to feedback.

slpottawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slpottawa Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #320 of 596

Has anyone used SCAL with a Mac? Have you had any issues?

Thanks in advance!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 7:03pm
post #321 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by slpottawa

Has anyone used SCAL with a Mac? Have you had any issues?

Thanks in advance!

Do they have a new version for a Mac? When I purchased SCAL, it was not compatible with Mac, but they were working on a version for the future. I do use mine with my Mac, but my dh had to add Windows to my Mac for it to work. It seemed pretty complicated for him to do so, but I couldn't wait for the Mac versionicon_smile.gif

slpottawa Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 7:13pm
post #322 of 596

When I look at their website, there's a 2.0 version that is available for PC and Mac. Which version do you have? I want to avoid installing Windows as this is one of the reasons I got a Mac.

greengyrl26 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 7:14pm
post #323 of 596

Yesterday was my birthday. My husband bought me the Cricut Expression, SCAL, and an additonal mat. I'm so excited & can't WAIT to try it!!!

slpottawa Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 7:18pm
post #324 of 596

Just found that the new version for Mac was released on December 2nd! May have to invest!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:47am
post #325 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by slpottawa

Just found that the new version for Mac was released on December 2nd! May have to invest!

Yes, the new version was released! I wish I had waited. Mine works after my poor husband rigged it, but would prefer to operate it using Mac. icon_cry.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:21am
post #326 of 596

linda makes her gumpaste and fondant from scratch.. she was showing all this on her site.. don,t know if it is still on there..

slpottawa Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:48pm
post #327 of 596

Found this website with tons of tutorials on how to use SCAL. They also ahve some free SVG/SCAL files. Sorry if this was posted before: http://svgcuts.com/blog/?cat=4

ideasinicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ideasinicing Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:48pm
post #328 of 596

Does anybody know if the Creative Designs DVD by Linda McClure ships to Canada?

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 4:25am
post #329 of 596

tmocan I think she does, someone esle got it shipped to new zealand

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 4:22am
post #330 of 596

Okay I have read almost every post in this thread (thanks to everyone) and only saw my question once - page 16 I think but didn't see an answer - sorry in advance if I missed it. I just watched my video and have a question - how does she store it in the freezer? It didn't seem like she wrapped it? Couldn't you just as easily store it in a air tight container?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%