Offset Square Cake.... Please Help

Decorating By prettycakelady Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 11:24pm by indydebi

prettycakelady Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 2

I have an order for a wedding cake in August. The bride has requested an offset square wedding cake. While I have prepared a few wedding cakes, I never done one with offset tiers. My question is how exactly do I position the dowel rods? Thank you in advance for your help.

1 reply
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 2

When you say offset, do you mean square-diamond-square, like this one: or this one:

Or do you mean "slightly askew", like these: ,

THe dowels should be pretty much in the same place as a regular square cake ... meaning place them in position to support the upper tier, depending on the position of the UPPER tier, not just the same 'ole place you usually put them.

Since you say you've never made an offset cake before, and *IF* you mean the square-diamond-square set up, be sure you stack your pans to see what will actually work.

A 10" square is 10" across but it's 14" from corner to corrner, which means you can't put it in a diamond pattern on as 12" cake. If you look at the 2nd diamond pic I posted (black fondant ribbon), the top two tiers are a tight fit. The top is not quite alighed right because I had to adjust it to fit ok.

Quote by @%username% on %date%