Offset Square Cake.... Please Help

Decorating By prettycakelady Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm by mbt4955

prettycakelady Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 4

I have an order for a wedding cake in August. The bride has requested an offset square wedding cake. While I have prepared a few wedding cakes, I never done one with offset tiers. My question is how exactly do I position the dowel rods? Thank you in advance for your help.

3 replies
Charmed Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:26am
post #2 of 4

do you mean a tupsy turvy cake? you can search the forums for Tupsy turvy cake. Here is a link to a video:

notjustcakes Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 4

I'm doing 2 offset square cakes this month. Make SURE that your cake pans are at least 4 inches different in size. In other words, 16 in, 12in, 8in., etc. You can't do for instance a 16, 14, 12 because your edges will "hang" off the larger tier since they only differ by 2 inches..
As far as placing the dowels, just use your smaller cake pan and decide where you are going to place that tier (offset), and very lightly mark the larger cake with an indentation and place your dowels within those marks..Make sure you have dowels at each corner, since this is where the cake will tend to sag without support. Place the corner dowels w/i 1 inch of the corner. Hope this helps..

mbt4955 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 4

I am doing my second offset square wedding cake in as many months - cousins. icon_smile.gif The upcoming cake will be for a small ceremony (75-100 guests) and she wants four tiers so I am not using pans with a 4" difference. They will be eating cake for awhile as it is and I am using 12, 10, 8, 6" pans. The tiers will be slightly offset and the pans stack okay, so I'm hoping the baked cakes will work too.

Here is a picture - this is not my cake but it will show you what I am planning to do with the tier placement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%