What Is This Technique Called...

Decorating By bbstephan Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 9:39pm by bbstephan

bbstephan Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 13

and how do you do it (the bottom two layers)? It looks like damask fabric, but I can't find anything in any of the forums about it. Thanks! Photo is from the ICES convention website, made by Glenda Galvez.

12 replies
Doug Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 13

would appear they did a trompe l'oeil faux finish effect to look like damask.

could have been done free hand or using stencils

all kinds of resources all over the net (google trompe l'oeil faux finish damask).

most will be about doing it on walls or furniture, but the technique would be the same.

leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:10am
post #3 of 13

I do a LOT of Damask cakes, and I don't see any Damask on that cake. It looks marbelized to me. You can sponge paint directly on fondant.

weirkd Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:20am
post #4 of 13

I agree with Leah. Damask is more of a print and you can buy stencils at Designer Stencils or chocolate transfers to do it. This looks like a marbelized or even a sponged affect using a sea sponge. But if your in doubt, try emailing
Glenda or Carrie Vincent and see if she might know.

laneysmom Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:36am
post #5 of 13

I agree, I wouldn't call it damask. Probably sponged to give the effect of marble or venetian plaster (w/o the texture.)

Is itjust me, or is this cake kind of creepy? Beautifully done, but creepy. I would hate to cut into someone's head even if it was made of cake.

bbstephan Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:00am
post #6 of 13

Thanks! I didn't know what it was called...so a sea sponge...do you know what I use for the paint? Luster dust?

varika Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #7 of 13
Originally Posted by bbstephan

Thanks! I didn't know what it was called...so a sea sponge...do you know what I use for the paint? Luster dust?

That looks like probably they just used food coloring. Gel watered down with a little extract or vodka works beautifully.

7yyrt Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:14am
post #8 of 13

Here's a larger picture. It was made by GLENDA GALVEZ, for the OKLAHOMA SUGAR ART SHOW 2006
Her website is here - http://www.auntglendascakes.com/

weirkd Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:15am
post #9 of 13

Ive tried using some RI that was watered down and it worked well too. But I looked in one of the Here Comes The Cake magazines and she has her email listed so you can always email her and ask her!
And yes, it would be creepy, just like that lady that had her wedding cake that looked like her. Anyone want a piece of my bride??? Yuck. Tacky! But I think Glenda's reminded me more of a Italian statue so a little less creepy-ish!

1234me Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:59pm
post #10 of 13

I would think you would do it just like you were sponge painting a wall - using food coloring!

bbstephan Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you for Glenda's email address! She was so kind and responded- the technique is sponging, and she used three different petal and luster dusts to get the color she wanted. Thanks to everyone for their input!

cakeroach Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 13

that cake is not damask. damask is a certain kind of a print, google it.

bbstephan Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 9:39pm
post #13 of 13

Already cleared that...

Quote by @%username% on %date%