Dummy Cakes

Decorating By KakesbyKerri Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm by TexasSugar

KakesbyKerri Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 6

Where is the best place to buy styrofoam to make dummy cakes? I went to a local hobby store and they had styrofoam in small disks, maybe an inch thick. I was thinking for a dummy cake, I would need something a little thicker, at least 4 inches or so. What do you recommend?

5 replies
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 6

Without knowing where you are .....

I order mine from d a l l a s - f o a m . c o m . The 1" styro's you see in the craft dept tend to be a lot more porous than a regular cake dummy, which is totally smooth for smoother icing.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 6

Tay lor Foam . com (take outspaces)....they have great prices, AND offer the contour tops, to make applying fondant much easier.

KakesbyKerri Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks!! I found a few places to order from, but because I tend to impatient icon_confused.gif I was hoping for a place to buy from. I am in Central Kentucky, btw.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 6

I don't live where they are, I get them shipped.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 6

At Michaels they carry the styrofoam sheets that are 2in thick. You can cut the sheets with a band saw to any size that you need. It is cheaper to buy the sheet and cut it than it is to buy the rounds, especially when you use a coupon on it.

I haven't bought from Dallas Foam since I am a last minute person and never have time to wait for shipping. One day I will, but until then I know I can get it when I need it quickly. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%