In Your Opinion... Best Chocolate Buttercream?

Decorating By pebblez87 Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 6:33pm by __Jamie__

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 9

Just like when i started doing buttercream i must have done a dozen and i finally had a request for chocolate buttercream . I noticed each recipie seems to differ whether it be all butter no crisco, or adding half and half. I guess im just wondering what is the go to recipie that you all love? Thanks for the help

8 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 9

Are you a shortening based icing person? If so, got nothing for ya. For meringue based icings, melted and cooled Callebaut, Lindt, or Valrhona chocolate mixed into SMBC is just to die for. Really rich. Kinda pricy, but worth the taste.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 9

Hi, I make my normal buttercream with all butter. For the chocolate buttercream, make ganache and add that to my normal buttercream. I have read that you can add melted chocolate to IMBC. icon_smile.gif

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 9

Nope im not partial to shortening I dont mind all butter. Where do you find some of those chocolates you named? I only reconize Lindt , maybe its because im not a chocolate fan haha.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 9

i use indydebi's recipe and then add 8oz melted semi-sweet chocolate (usually Ghiradelli) per recipe batch.

since I generally make double batch at a shot, that's one full 16oz. bag melted and added.

this makes for a very stiff BC that crusts very well. you need to add extra milk for less stiffness

can sub butter for all or part of shortening....BUT... the more butter, the softer and harder to get super smooth finish it becomes.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 9

http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/ This place is awesome. I get it at a little import market out of town most times, but have ordered from this place, with great service. There are so many amazing looking chocolates on this site, going to try some new stuff one of these days!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/ This place is awesome. I get it at a little import market out of town most times, but have ordered from this place, with great service. There are so many amazing looking chocolates on this site, going to try some new stuff one of these days!

BE STILL MY HEART!

thank you .....

for killing my diet for the rest of eternity! icon_rolleyes.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:28pm
post #8 of 9

Heh heh!

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 9

Oh it's like looking through a wine selection. What realy makes me think, is looking at the bags of chips on that site. And thinking about the FN challenges where they are dumping bags and bags and bags of it into melters for chocolate sculpting. Thousands of dollars worth of chocolate!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%