Bringing Cake To A Barbecue

Decorating By Penny7271 Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 12:27am by Penny7271

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 22

We're going to a 4th of July barbecue tomorrow. I am planning on bringing a cake. I have been dying to try a stacked cake with red and white stripes on the bottom and blue with white stars on top (there were several very pretty ones here...)

My question is - it is just too much to bring a two-tiered cake to a barbecue? I am not concerned about time or cost since I want to do it. But I don't want to have it be viewed as just over the top.

Thanks for any thoughts you share...

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that there will be between 50 and 75 people (if not more) at the barbecue. If that makes a difference at all...

21 replies
Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 22

If it were me...I would make some really cute cupcake "mini burgers" and put little American flags on them. They're easier to eat and less hassle at a bar-b-q, especially when the weather can be unpredictable.

Just my opinion icon_smile.gif

Penny7271 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 22

Thanks so much - I actually did that last year for same party!

That's one reason I was looking to do something different...

Babarooskie Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 22

OH! well in that case.... hmmm.....not sure.

Babarooskie Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 22

OH! well in that case.... hmmm.....not sure.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 22

I think it wold be fine. I am actually make one for tomorrow for a party 2 tiered with the stars and stripes. I am sure everyone will love it

juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 22

I use these parties to try new designs and flavors. Since I am paying for it and want to try new I think it great place to get feedback. I also check with the person throwing the party. Usually they are family in my case and they don't care.

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:41pm
post #8 of 22

I say bring the cake! It will make the event more special. It won't be over the top, unless of course, you plan on arriving in slow motion to your own theme music, stopping at each guest telling them you made the cake and asking "Isn't it wonderful?" and then when they lean over to look you slap their hand and say firmly DON'T TOUCH!

Seriously, I'm sure it will be much appreciated. If I was having a cookout, I'd love for a talented cake artist to bring a cake to share. icon_smile.gif

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 22

It sounds like there are going to be a lot of people there, so a two tiered cake doesn't sound unreasonable.

Anyways, aren't the best cakes always over the top no matter what the even is?

And in the end, you should always do what makes you happy.

Tammy

Penny7271 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:54pm
post #10 of 22

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. I will go ahead with it as I had planned. icon_smile.gif

The cake is a duplicate of many of the ones on here already, but I will still post a picture of it.

Thanks, again!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 22

Shoot, a 3 tier cake! 6, 8, 10 round=74!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amymnn

...plan on arriving in slow motion to your own theme music, stopping at each guest telling them you made the cake and asking "Isn't it wonderful?" ... icon_smile.gif

Golly! Since I can only do cakes for friends & family (NJ boo!)...the only reason I make them is so I can do this! hee hee

No one else? icon_wink.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 22

Why not a flag cake decorated with raspberries and blueberries?

It is so hot bbq and all I think the fruit on cake is better and less work for you.

Penny7271 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:08pm
post #14 of 22

Double post...

Penny7271 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:10pm
post #15 of 22

I am with you, PattyT. I can't do this for anything other than fun. So I don't look at it as work. I have been wanting to try this for quite some time and a party on the 4th seemed like a perfect time to give it a try.

Thanks again!

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:17pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

Quote:

...plan on arriving in slow motion to your own theme music, stopping at each guest telling them you made the cake and asking "Isn't it wonderful?" ... icon_smile.gif

Golly! Since I can only do cakes for friends & family (NJ boo!)...the only reason I make them is so I can do this! hee hee

No one else? icon_wink.gif

I look for any excuse I can find!! Father's day, memorial day, president's day, MLK day.... LOL!!! I don't get paid, so I always have to have an excuse!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:25pm
post #17 of 22

I just finished a 2 tier stars-and-stripes cake for our cookout tomorrow. There are three layers in each tier, strawberry/white chocolate/blueberry,so each tier is 6 inches tall. Oh yeah, it's a small family gathering and there will be about 10 people there. I really just wanted to make a red, white and blue 2-tier cake. The neighbors will be getting cake tomorrow!!! (Can you tell I love over-the-top?)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:36pm
post #18 of 22

And what a great way to show that tiered cakes are NOT just for weddings! thumbs_up.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:

It won't be over the top, unless of course, you plan on arriving in slow motion to your own theme music, stopping at each guest telling them you made the cake and asking "Isn't it wonderful?" and then when they lean over to look you slap their hand and say firmly DON'T TOUCH!

That is hysterical! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I think it should be fine especially because there will be alot of people there, might be weird for a small party but for a big party, it would be fun!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:01am
post #20 of 22

Oh bah! I do what I please when I please! Bring on the Yankee Doodle Dandy Cake!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:05am
post #21 of 22

Last year, my family had a pool party BBQ/pool party. My mother took a sheet cake done up like the Wilton "family tree" cake, and I did a three-tier cake with flowers trailing down the sides.

We were kind of going slow-mo! My aunt's house is on a hill, and we were terrified of tripping. We didn't have to stop each guest, either, they all crowded around.

Amusingly, though, when it came time to cut, it was the "family tree" cake that went first! icon_lol.gif All the kids wanted "their" faces...

Penny7271 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:27am
post #22 of 22

That's too funny, Varika!

Now my concern is making sure a tiered cake doesn't bite it on the car ride there (could be up to 3 hours with traffic). Wish me luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%