Sweetened Of Un-Sweetened Cocoa ?????

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 12:03am by Dessert_Diva

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 14

Hi All!!

I am making Chocalate Buttercream icing. It calls for Coca. When I go to the store there is SWEETENED and UNsweetend Coca. What is the difference?? Which do I choose????

Thank You,

=)

13 replies
pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 14

When a recipe calls for cocoa powder, it's usually referring to unsweetened cocoa. To be sure, just take a look at the other ingredients in your buttercream recipe. If there is another sugar source (most likely powdered sugar), then you definitely want to buy unsweetened cocoa.

I think the sweetened cocoas are for making chocolate milk and things like that. I believe they have more sugar than cocoa in them, but I'm not sure. For baking or frostings or anything calling for cocoa, I always go with unsweetened.

icon_smile.gif patti

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 14

Do you mean cocoa? Ive never heard of coca! If its cocoa - it probably means un-sweet .. HTH!

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 14

Sorry for the mis-spelled words.... I meant Cocoa. Thank you for the tips.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 14

why ever buy sweetened? all they do is charge you 3x+ for the sugar you can buy separately much cheaper and then add yourself.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 14

Besides, if you buy the sweetened, then it's not funny when the kids want a spoonful of it, all by itself! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 14

What about Dutch processed? I had a devil of a time finding that and eventually found a recipe to make "normal" cocoa into Dutch processed....can anyone explain the difference?

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Besides, if you buy the sweetened, then it's not funny when the kids want a spoonful of it, all by itself! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_biggrin.gif This cracked me up! I did that to my mom's cocoa when I was little... yuck! lol icon_lol.gif They just laughed at me...
But I also drank a think of soy sauce thinking it was Coca Cola.....It's not my fault they were switching containers!!

** I just remembered, it wasn't soy sauce..it was left over black olive liquid from a can my mom had just opened up... Not cool.. thumbsdown.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessert_Diva

What about Dutch processed? I had a devil of a time finding that and eventually found a recipe to make "normal" cocoa into Dutch processed....can anyone explain the difference?

interesting article on the topic:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Differences-Between-Natural-and-Dutch-Processed-Cocoa-Powder&id=2486074

indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariela_ms

icon_biggrin.gif This cracked me up! I did that to my mom's cocoa when I was little... yuck! lol icon_lol.gif They just laughed at me...

Something else that's funny that you should do to your kids and it's hysterical!!

No one (NO one!) can swallow a teaspoon of ground cinnamon powder.

You will fall on the floor laughing your butt off watching people try this! We did it to our youngest and she's done it to her friends. GREAT party gag!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 14

I *heart* you Debi... LMAO!! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 14

It's especially funny if you can get a macho man to try it. You know .. the guy who can do ANYTHING in that manly-man voice! You'll take him to his knees! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 14

I'm definitely going to try the cinammon one! Lol

Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:03am
post #14 of 14

Doug - thank you, that was a great article.....Dutch Processed it is!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%