Why? Change To Cake Design

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 6:07am by Kay_NL

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:36am
post #1 of 8

Let me first say that I am not a wedding cake maker so the one I have for next weekend will be my first, and last. It is a favor for a good friend of mine and she has done all the baking while I am decorating, I am charging $250 for that part.

So last night I get a call telling me she couldn't get the cake to bake right in the 16 inch square pan (original cake was to be squares 16-12-icon_cool.gif so now has round cakes that are 13-10-6.5 (??) and has two cakes of each size that is 3 inches high.

The original design is based on a cake by cakelady48 as seen here: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1303470 I have the topper almost ready but now have no clue what to do for the sides. The mother of the bride is the customer and her daughter apparently doesn't care what the cake looks like. Now the mother of the bride is telling me that as long as the topper is what we planned (not exactly what is in the picture) she doesn't care what is on the rest of the cake.

So, any ideas?? I don't think I will need to charge more as I don't have time to make any more gum paste flowers and don't think that the round cakes will need more fondant than the square, although I have to do up those quantities today.

I don't like stress in the summer, no more wedding cakes for me! I like a cake I can start in finish in one day! lol!

Thanks for being here CC...

Katherine

7 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:46am
post #2 of 8

Can't you use the same design on the round cakes that you were for the square ? That sure is a pretty cake !

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:49am
post #3 of 8

Can't you use the same design on the round cakes that you were for the square ? That sure is a pretty cake !

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 8

I would go ahead and do the brown thing with all the flowers on it. I don't think that will matter. And the flowers won't change. The only thing I'm not sure about are the thin little brown lines. They might end up looking great on a round cake - and they might look terrible. I think you will just have to lay it on there and decide.

You should be ok if the MOB doesn't even care whats's on the outside.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:47am
post #5 of 8

Maybe instead of the bands going verticle they could go horizital. In other words put the band going around each layer like a ribbon around the cake with the piping on each side of the ribbon.

chryscrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chryscrazy Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:52am
post #6 of 8

Maybe instead of the bands going verticle they could go horizital. In other words put the band going around each layer like a ribbon around the cake with the piping on each side of the ribbon.

That's EXACTLY what I was going to recommend. Post a pic of whatever you decide.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:06am
post #7 of 8

I agree with the last two. The brown ribbons of fondant should go around the cake. If it was me, I would run them at the base of each layer. Then pipe a thin stripe above it in the brown. It would be as simple as the original and still be as pretty.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:07am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everybody! I like the horizontal stripe idea. I was debating still doing vertical stripes but they wouldn't look as nice on a round, in my opinion. Since the new cakes will be almost 6 inches high, I think a 3 inch brown horizontal stripe would look lovely but think I might avoid the think stripes.

Thanks again! I will post a picture when it's all done... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%