Thank You For All Of Your Help, I Finally Finished The Cake!

Decorating By cakelovincrazy Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 3:41am by Texas_Rose

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:34am
post #1 of 2

I was the one asking all the questions about stacking layers and the one that started the controversy on when to use dowels. icon_lol.gif I didnt use them on this cake and now I wish I would have because the frosting was so soft that after sitting out a couple hours the layers started to slide a bit.
Everyone was so helpful and i ABSOLUTELY LOVE this site!

I saw this cake in the photo gallery and thought I would try it just to get some practice. I used the saran wrap method with the frosting and it was totally amazing!

I also tried the viva method which I think would have worked much better if my frosting would have crusted better. I used a recipe that was called crusting cream cheese frosting, but not so much crusting even after I added an extra cup of PS.

I also tried using a bench scraper to smooth the sides (before the viva method) but I kept scraping too much off, so I would add more frosting and use the scraper again, but just couldn't get it right. I have a lot of bare spots on the sides of the cake now. icon_redface.gif
How do you all get the frosting even on the top and sides and in between the layers???

Anyhoo here is the cake and I guess I will just keep practicing and hopefully will be as good as all of you wonderful ladies. icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:41am
post #2 of 2

Great job!

I've never found a cream cheese icing that crusted well enough for me.

I didn't read the dowel debate...but generally you only dowel a tiered cake...so I don't think you needed dowels for this one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%