Changing Cake Color

Decorating By blueydmom2004 Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 4:42am by LovesPekes

blueydmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueydmom2004 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:27am
post #1 of 11

Has anybody ever taken a white cake mix and change the color of the cake? I was wanting to make a white cake a red, white, and blue cake. Would using the wilton gel coloring work or regular food coloring best? Thanks!

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:40am
post #2 of 11

yes. one was for a bride that wanted pink cake but didn't want cherry or strawberry. I have gel, paste, powder and the cheap-o water based colorings, so I can't remember which I used .... I would assume any would work fine.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:44am
post #3 of 11

I've used wilton gel and also the cheap grocery store liquids. Both work. The wilton gel takes less to do the job. It seems like it takes less to color cake than to color icing icon_biggrin.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:55am
post #4 of 11

I use americolor and do it all the time! Ive made red, blue, orange, purple, green,

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:58am
post #5 of 11

I use americolor and do it all the time! Ive made red, blue, orange, purple, green,

blueydmom2004 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:04am
post #6 of 11

Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

blueydmom2004 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:05am
post #7 of 11

Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:18am
post #8 of 11

I would hesitate to use the Wilton red because it may cause a change in flavor. If you've got it, Americolor "Super Red" is great. It doesn't take as much to make a true red color. I've used Wilton paste for 2 camo cakes and Wilton and Americolor for a rainbow cake.

blueydmom2004 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:25am
post #9 of 11

What about the Wilton No Taste Red? I don't even use the Christmas red because I was told that it has a bitter taste to it.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:30am
post #10 of 11

You can use the no taste red from Wilton and you should be fine...but I agree americolor works best and you wont need as much of it as others.

Also on a side note...this might be a little bit gross but just so you know ahead of time.

I made a Pale Blue cake for a friend who was expecting a baby boy. A few days after the shower she got a few calls from people saying that there hrmmm, cough cough... "bowel" movements had changed color.

It's your body expelling the die it has not absorbed...LOL sorry to gross anyone out but just in case you want a really BLUE cake I figured I would give you the what, where and who on the blue poo!

LovesPekes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovesPekes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:42am
post #11 of 11

I change the color of my cake batter on most of my cakes and it doesn't change the flavor at all. I use American gel colors but have used Wilton also. It makes for a very exciting cake when cut!

[/img]
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%