Margarita Cake Flavor Combo Question

Baking By mandyloo Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 3:34am by mandyloo

mandyloo Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:14am
post #1 of 10

Hey, I just made macsmom's margarita cake for the first time and am planning on filling it with lime curd. My question is about about the frosting. Should I flavor my buttercream with the lime curd? Would that be too much lime (the cake, the filling, the frosting)? Would it be nasty to use a teeeny bit of tequila in the frosting? Just plain vanilla? Lemon cake is great with sour cream icing, should try it w/this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

tia

9 replies
luvbakin Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:25am
post #2 of 10

My friend make this combo and used creme bouquet flavoring in the frosting. Said it turned out great.

luvbakin Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #3 of 10

My friend make this combo and used creme bouquet flavoring in the frosting. Said it turned out great.

giraffe11 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:36am
post #4 of 10

Most of the margarita cake and cupcake recipes that I have seen include tequila in the frosting. It is quite yummy and not nasty at all......but very adult tasting.....
Do a google search and you will find many recipes for buttercream with tequila to go with your margarita cakes and cupcakes.

drakegore Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:54am
post #5 of 10

my personal choice is vanilla/coconut buttercream. more emphasis on vanilla than coconut.

raquel1 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:23am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

my personal choice is vanilla/coconut buttercream. more emphasis on vanilla than coconut.

The coconut sounds like a great idea. I've been wanting to make the Margarita cake and was going to try it with a hint of lime in the bc, but coconut vanilla is going to be it for me icon_biggrin.gif

raquel1 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:26am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

The coconut sounds like a great idea. I've been wanting to make the Margarita cake and was going to try it with a hint of lime in the bc, but coconut vanilla is going to be it for me icon_biggrin.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:39am
post #8 of 10

Also, If you wanted to add a hint of tequila, a simple syrup with a tablespoon of tequila could be brushed on the cake before filling.. That would also give you an opportunity to open the tequila to "see if it is good or not."javascript:emoticon('icon_biggrin.gif')

peg818 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 10

my favorite is strawberry filling with a whipped cream type icing yes add a little tequila in the filling and icing.

mandyloo Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:34am
post #10 of 10

thank you all for the ideas! I don't have access to creme bouquet here, and the recipient isn't a coconut lover, so I went with my basic buttercream w/a small amount of the lime curd mixed in and a few caps full of tequila. It turned out great. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%