Cutting Round/square Cakes From Sheets

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm by bulldog

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:00am
post #1 of 18

Ok, I've googled "cake cutters" and "round cake cutters" trying to find these things. I saw the girls of Cake Alchemy using them the other day, where they cut their rounds from sheet cake pans, using tall round cutters, same size as cake pans, but no they didn't have bottoms to them, and they were very tall. Did all the filling inside the cutter thing, and when they unmolded the cake, dang! Perfectly seamless and straight sides.

I'm kind of intrigued. Looks like it would waste cake, but I'm up for short term freezing for tastings now that I got a good vacuum sealer.

Anyone else do this?

And what are they called, and where the heck do you find them??

Thanks for any help! icon_smile.gif

17 replies
cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:19am
post #2 of 18

Sorry I haven't seen anything like that. But I am interested in knowing more about the cutters.

AuntieE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieE Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:20am
post #3 of 18

maybe it's just a tin can with top and bottom taken off with one of those can openers than don't leave sharp edges? It just might be that simple. Like the size of shortening can.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:23am
post #4 of 18

Search for cake rings. They're not just handy for cutting cake layers, you can also assemble the cake inside the ring (very handy for mousse cakes, charlotte russe adn things like that with a very soft filling that needs to set overnight).

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #5 of 18

You could make your own out of 6" flashing. It's sold by the roll at Home Depot or Lowes.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #6 of 18

I have tin cans (with upper edge completely removed) in many different sizes.(from 1" to 8") Check your grocery store or pantry for cans. You can also use hard plastic containers if they have straight sides.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:34am
post #7 of 18

Pink, yes!! That's it, thank you! I figured it wasn't really for cutting, but more for assembly, no? Thank you, on the hunt now.

And thanks everyone, that's a lot of help!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:43am
post #8 of 18

Check our Chef Rubber in Vegas.... this page shows what is available but they are expensive. http://shopchefrubber.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

They did a demo at the Bakery Show a couple years ago building the finished cake inside the rings.

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:52am
post #9 of 18

YES YES... I saw the show and paused the TV.. called my husband in and he (home improvement expert) went to the garage and made me several different sizes (he felt involved.. so I let him go at it... LOL) not sure what he used exactly .... yes - flashing ! (just yelled at him and asked.. LOL)

I used them for assembling the cake - it was so nice to put the cake together and no slipping and sliding.... Sweet Deal !!

Love it.. Love it..Love it

Vicki

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:58am
post #10 of 18

Thanks bisbqueen!

AuntieE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieE Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:58am
post #11 of 18

I had an instructor who would bake her cakes and make sure one of the pans was taller, 3 inch I think, and then she would just assemble the cake in the tallest pan, invert, and walaa! Even and no slippage.

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:41pm
post #12 of 18

I saw that episode too, and would like to use the cake tubes as well. What size sheet cake pans can you get, and how much batter, how long to bake, etc? The pan they had looked really big. The biggest pan I use is the 12" x 18". Help with this please.

bulldog Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:40am
post #13 of 18

Found the answer.

vlk Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:35pm
post #14 of 18

I am on the edge of my seat.. what did you find ?

bulldog Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:43pm
post #15 of 18

Fill 1/2 full, bake about 12-15 mins. Not sure if right, but will be testing soon. If anyone else wants to chime in , I would like to hear

vlk Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:31pm
post #16 of 18

Okay.. sounds good.. and any "not used" cake in the circle cut outs - could make cake balls!?

bulldog Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:02pm
post #17 of 18

That is what I thought, too. Just the amount of time saved w/ the less cooking time and cooling time is worth it. I figure I usually have to level top, and "waste" that cake anyway. Also, easier to store sheet pans.

bulldog Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm
post #18 of 18

KammKakes- Did your husband use a rivet gun or what to make the rings out of flashing? Were the rings to wobbly when you pushed down on them? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
bulldog

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%