Quilting Technique

Decorating By crazycakelady421 Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 12:33am by __Jamie__

crazycakelady421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakelady421 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 12:00am
post #1 of 4

Hi,
can anyone tell me how ro do the quilting technique on fondant?

3 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 12:19am
post #2 of 4

the best way is to have the quilting tool. on fondant. and quilting impression mat on buttercream.. the tool for fondant is 3 diamond shapes in a row.. jennifer dontz sells this at her site.. sugardelites.com.. and the dvd on how to.. her dvds are great... sharon zambito sells the impression mat on her site. and dvds on how to.. her dvds are also great. hth

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 12:26am
post #3 of 4

This discussion talks about several methods.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6401830-quilt.html#6401830

I printed out a diamond pattern that I found online onto tracing paper, laid it on the top of the cake and pressed the lines in with my board scraper. You can see the results on the lids on the hat box cakes in my pics.

This is more difficult to do on the rounded sides of a cake. So for the gingerbread cake in my pics I used the method suggested by pinkziab and cut a simple 90° angle in a piece of cardboard (see specifics for this technique in pinkziab's post int the linked discussion.

I personally don't like impression mats. But lots of people have great success with them.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 12:33am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

the best way is to have the quilting tool. on fondant. and quilting on buttercream.. the tool for fondant is 3 diamond shapes in a row.. jennifer dontz sells this at her site.. sugardelites.com.. and the dvd on how to.. her dvds are great... sharon zambito sells the on her site. and dvds on how to.. her dvds are also great. hth

Big BIG BIG thumbs up to J. Dontz' 3 diamonf cutting tool. I use it very successfully on round cakes! And going over the lines with a cutter really helps it poof out. You can see my pink princess cake that I used this method on in my pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%